Thursday, March 31, 2011

Batting Practice

(I dedicate this post to Bert, the generous, rich gentleman who made an incredible memory possible. I'm eternally grateful!!)

On June 28th, 2008, I was blessed with an amazing opportunity. A trip to Minute Maid Park, Houston Astros home stadium!! For my beloved Boston Red Sox were competing against that franchise during interleague play!! Our seats proved to be unbelievable--above Houston's dugout--and the view of their field was astounding!! Long before game time, we entered Minute Maid Park for Red Sox batting practice. This was the first live baseball activity that I had ever experienced. Wow.... Then I contained my excitement just enough to glance toward the guy standing behind their batting cage....Captain Jason Varitek!! I recognized his uniform's digits--33--and nearly experienced a panic attack!! Quite honestly, I was star-struck!! "That's--that's--that's Jason Varitek!!" I stammered. I spun around in my chair to face Bert, who was temporarily positioned behind me. "Number thirty-three, that's Jason Varitek!!" But apparently seeing is not believing!! I was flabbergasted that Varitek stood there, wooden bat in hands, so close to me!! Mentally, I even doubted his existence on that field!! Certainly he was an impersonator?

No comments: