Saturday, December 20, 2014

Gingerbread Men/Women Treats

Blogging Friends.... Well, now this just feels strange. I have yet to post the Halloween and Thanksgiving dog treat recipes that I baked for Rosey on Beautifully Unique.... And yet, here we are {Five days until Christmas!! Gasp!!} and I am posting the dog treat recipe that I'm planning on giving Rosey for Christmas?! Ugh. Love you later.

I own a dog treat cookbook which features four different Christmas-themed recipes. Cool, right? However. The recipe that I initially planned to bake, we lacked the ingredients for!! So.... I logged Online the other night and did a lengthy Google-search which lasted until about 11:30!! The winner? Gingerbread Dog Biscuits!! We have all the ingredients in our kitchen. Check!! I happen to be a sucker for gingerbread men this time of year. Check!! And perhaps the best reason of all? They taste like Christmas!! Why, yes. I did taste-test one!! To give credit to whom credit is due? I found this recipe on http://dukesandduchesses.com .

Rosey would rate this recipe four 'paws' way, way up!! {Yes, she got a pre-Christmas Day sample!!}

Gingerbread Dog Biscuits

3 cups whole wheat flour {I am a rebel.... So I used 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour and 2 1/2 cups white flour!! This way--in my experience--the dough is not crumbly!! But I did need to add a little more water off and on!!} 
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 cup molasses
1/2 cup water {She put this little much needed ingredient down below, so I neglected to even see it.... At first. So I am putting it up here!!}

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Lightly grease a cookie sheet. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, ginger and cinnamon. {I repeat.... I am a rebel!! So I just poured those ingredients into my bowl!! Who needs a sifter?!} Mix in the oil, molasses, and let rest for 15 minutes. {If memory serves me right--and it seldom ever does!!--I hip swayed to Elvis Presley's version of "Here Comes Santa Claus" as it played on our radio while waiting!! My body will most likely hate me tomorrow!!}

On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough 1/4-inch thick. {You know what? I do not care about measuring dough thickness!! I just roll it out and hope for the best!! Anyhoo....} Cut out the cookies with bone-shaped cookie cutters [I also used a dog house cookie cutter]. {Wait. What?! These are gingerbread dog cookies!! Oh for Heaven's sake!! I used my gingerbread man and woman cutter!!} Transfer to the prepared sheet. Bake until firm, about 20 minutes. {Um.... I baked them for 25 minutes!! I made 15 gingerbread men and women treats!!

Did you know that I introduced my nearly three-year old niece, "Amethyst" to Bruce Springsteen's rockin' live performance of "Santa Claus is Coming to Town"? {Which, by the way, occurred in 1975!! That was before I was ever even born!! Cool!!} She--who calls Bruce Springsteen "Buce"--will stop playing and dance to "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" alongside me!! {Yes, as though nobody is watching!!} I love how Bruce Springsteen feels like a longtime family friend somehow--his singing, performances and music--expanding generations.... My parents.... Me.... "Amethyst".... And did you know that Bruce Springsteen makes an awesome dog treat baking partner? {Or more like a blessed distraction!!} Because after several failed vibes sent toward our local "Christmas" radio station to play Bruce Springsteen, they finally did!! Honestly? As I sang and danced around the house, I haven't a clue how much work I got done!! Aw, Bruce....      




2 comments:

Unknown said...

They sound very yummy. Have a serene and easy Sunday.
Best wishes Molly

Mary Lou said...

Molly....
Thank-you for the comment, Friend!!
"They sound very yummy." Mmmm.... They are!! Note to self. Next time I bake this dog treat recipe, double it!! I will happily help Rosey enjoy them!! ;op