Saturday, May 26, 2012

Call 'Em Mutts

Blogging Friends.... If you have not already figured this out, I am a shameless advocate of mixed breed canines and mutt adoption on my Blog!! I'm unapologetic, really!! Why? Because I share my existence with a certain Beautifully Unique "Mystery Dog", named Rose!! And I love and celebrate her every second of the day!! Plus, based upon personal observation, seemingly nobody owns mongrels!! But that is just what I have seen.... So, twice monthly, I will be expressing my feelings regarding anything mixed breed!! But do not desert me, dear Friends, because of this one Blog post. Please. There will be plenty of stories to come!!

I do not enjoy evading the truth about things. Like my learning disabilities. I live with short-term memory loss and Attention Deficit Disorder. They are such a vast part of who I am as an individual, yet so well concealed from onlookers that I feel like I've got some superhero's Secret Identity!! Seriously. Tiptoeing around the truth is, quite frankly, not my style. And this mindset doesn't stop when it involves mixed breed canines!! Nope!! I prefer to, as Dennis Quaid's character, Jimmy Morris from Hollywood's "The Rookie" so straightforwardly declared: "call 'em like I see 'em." Yesterday, I was walking Rose, my youngest brother alongside me. Our neighbor had been up to his elbows in oil and grease, as he worked on some car. A noisy contraption was suddenly operated. So we crossed our street to reach the other side. Which, to Rose, is always a new adventure!! Because I seldom ever walk my little girl on the opposite end of our cul-de-sac!! Her wet black nose is allowed to investigate urine-marked locations on bushes, green grass, and fences, in places like never before!! "Pee-mail".... This is quite the privilege.... For a dog!! Three of our neighbors, Gary, Pat, and Cheryl were chatting together. Immediately, we became a part of their circle, which was neat!! They each have a long history in our cul-de-sac, mentioning names of people who used to reside here years ago. The three acted like long-lost old friends!! Gary and Pat's adult son owns this beautiful canine. He and his dog visit frequently in a white pick-up truck. I had been long wondering what kind of canine Gary and Pat's son owns. So I asked. She is a mixed breed!! Of, what, I do not remember!! And this pretty girl looks like an Australian Shepherd with black/tan markings!! But I knew that she was not a purebred!! I knew.... With that, I replied: "I thought she was a mutt!!" My voice carried this strong sense of vehemence. And then, Cheryl, who does not even own any pets, scolded, half jokingly, "Don't say 'mutt'. You'll hurt its feelings!!" What?! Has "mutt" become some forbidden word, an offensive four-letter, one-syllable word, mostly to people, like "retard" is in the Special Needs world? Not that I am equating these two. Trust me. I am not!! "Retard" isn't even in my vocabulary!! It never has been!! But.... Mutt? Over two years ago, I met this woman on some local elementary school playground. It was a Sunday afternoon, hardly anybody there. She had three large-sized dogs and daughter with her. I greeted and pet these canines. Asked what kind of dogs they were. The woman answered. They were mixed breeds!! I then responded with this declaration: "I love mutts!!" I love mutts. As soon as those words exited my lips, the woman shot me a sheepish glance, like she was telepathically mimicking Cheryl's "Don't say 'mutt'. You'll hurt its feelings!!". Really?! I own a mutt. Her name is Rose. I do not own some pedigree purebred, that's for certain!! I don't share my existence with a wanderlust, "talkative" Beagle!! No. I own a mutt. By choice, thank-you!! I own a "Mystery Dog", with definite Beagle within her DNA!! I actually prefer to use the term: "mixed breed", mainly because "mutt" is slang. But, honestly? I do not enjoy evading any truths about the fact that Rose is a mutt!! A mutt. A mutt. A mutt!! I say this loud and proud, as though I'm shouting it from atop some high mountain!! Rose is special. Irreplaceable in every way imaginable!! Rose is a Beautifully Unique mutt!! And I would not have it any other way!!       



















20 comments:

Dachshund Nola said...

Good for you, and well said!
Where we each live seem like polar opposites. When someone asks me what kind of dog Nola is (she's a different color and smaller and thinner then an average Dox) and I say purebred Dachshund I usually get glared at and reprimanded for not "saving" a dog. Which makes me really angry, both my cats and my bird are rescues and I've had rescues before. But with dogs, I prefer a purebred and that's just me. I like being able to anticipate certain health problems and I like preforming in competition with them. But that's just me :) Sorry for the long winded comment!
Nola's Mom

Sketching with Dogs said...

I don't see anything wrong with the word mutt, some people are oversensitive. Your neighbours son's dog sounds like a beautiful mutt :)
Lynne x

Mary Lou said...

Nola's Mom....
Thank-you for the comment!!
"When someone asks me what kind of dog Nola is (she's a different color and smaller and thinner than an average Dox) and I say purebred Dachshund I usually get glared at and reprimanded for not 'saving' a dog.". Interesting.... People and their straightforward opinions sometimes!! Purebreds can be rescues, too, do they not think of that? Sheesh!! ;)
It is absolutely alright that you prefer purebreds over mixed breeds!! I understand your reasons for doing so!! I truly do!! ;-}
I don't mind "long winded" comments!! ;op

Mary Lou said...

Nola's Mom....
Thank-you for the comment!!
"When someone asks me what kind of dog Nola is (she's a different color and smaller and thinner than an average Dox) and I say purebred Dachshund I usually get glared at and reprimanded for not 'saving' a dog.". Interesting.... People and their straightforward opinions sometimes!! Purebreds can be rescues, too, do they not think of that? Sheesh!! ;)
It is absolutely alright that you prefer purebreds over mixed breeds!! I understand your reasons for doing so!! I truly do!! ;-}
I don't mind "long winded" comments!! ;op

Mary Lou said...

Lynne....
Thank-you for the comment!!
I know, right? Say it with me now. "Mutt". "Mutt". "Mutt"!! ;op
My neighbor's dog is Beautifully Unique!! ;-}

Mary Lou said...

Nola's Mom....
Oops!! Sorry for my double reply back!! They are identical comments, by the way!! I did not think it sent, so I "published" my reply again!! ;-}

Lorenza said...

Mutts, mixed breed.... they are just words... the thing that matters is that all of them are adorable!
Happy weekend!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

Mary Lou said...

Lorenza....
Thank-you for the comment!!
"Mutts, mixed breed.... they are just words... the thing that matters is that all of them are adorable!" Very good. I like that!! ;op
Happy weekend, yourself!! ;)

The Ladies of Beaglebratz Manor said...

From the mom - been meaning to tell you that Shiloh'n Shasta were my first purebreds - all the dogs that I had before were mutts and getting a purebred Beagle started out being my sister's idea but I got the Beagle "fever" soon after I saw my first Beagle. I had never heard of breed rescues or anything else except the animal shelter here in town. When I get another dog, I really am not sure what I will get but I know Beagle will be at least part of it and I know I will go to a rescue group or possibly a shelter

And yes, I do agree with others here - some people are just overly sensitive or have some kind of problem with what is real - mixed breed or mutt - they both refer to the same thing. Maybe in some way, one is more politically or it is societally correct. Like you, I don't try to sugar-coat reality -I have a disability(ies) and they can't be hidden - they are a part of me as much as any other part of me and I apply that same thought everywhere. I was in PetSmart with Shasta one day this lady was just POSITIVE that Shasta was a Basset - to me this was doing a disservice to both breeds and in the process, was also showing her stupidness. Granted, Shasta is a little long in the body than the average Beagle but her overall bone structure is more fine, doesn't have the long ears and her legs are longer than a Basset but I bet even if I had Shasta's papers with me, the lady just "knew"she was right. Just call the dog what it is - whether it be a mutt or purebred.

And before I ramble anymore, I will stop for now.
Kim

Mary Lou said...

Kim....
Thank-you for the comment!!
Seriously?! All the dogs you owned before Shiloh'n Shasta were mutts? Cool!! I do not mind that at all that you now have Beagles!! I feel such a personal, strong connection to my Rose, in vast part because of the hound within her DNA!! For Rose's bay is instinctive. It's beyond her control.... Like my disabilities.... As well as yours. And, she "inherited" that from the Beagle!! ;op
"Maybe in some way, one is more politically or it is societally correct.". Yes, I think so!! But I will still say the word "mutt".... With pride in my voice!! Because I am a rebel.... ;-}

Suka said...

I admire your willingness to be truthful and honest with a subject that can be sensitive. It is hard to open oneself up to potential criticism.

I feel as you do. All the dogs in my life have been mutts. And we grew up using the word "mutt" so I am confused like you as to why it seems to be a "bad word" for some. I love mutts!

Suka is a mutt. He is mostly Malamute but is mixed with another breed. However, no one knows what the other breed is, not even the Vets! But that is O.K. He is my Suka and I love him no matter what he is!

I also see the beauty in purebreeds, and I can think of a couple breeds that I would like as a purebreed, rescued of course! :-> But, when I am adopting a dog, I don't base my decision on if it is a mutt or a purebreed. I find the dog that touches my heart, and that is the one I am meant to adopt. :->

K and Suka

Smile With Your Tail said...

Personally Mum calls Dante and Daisy Boo mutts, because she never saw Dantes parents and they are both nothing like doodles.

Celebrate the mutts/mogrels/scruffs and weird and wonderful pooches!

Woof woof

Slobbers

Ryker said...

Dogs don't make those distinctions, it's just us crazy people!

Mary Lou said...

K and Suka....
Thank-you for the comment!!
"I admire your willingness to be truthful and honest with a subject that can be sensitive. It is hard to open oneself up to potential criticism. ". Thank-you!! I have gradually grown in this area of accepting potential criticism. And I am more opinionated when I'm writing!! ;)
Suka is a mutt?! I never knew that!! She looks very Malamute!! Suka is like my Rose!! She's mostly Beagle but mixed with another breed, as well!! Which, I think, but I'm not positive, is German Shepherd!! Our vet could not tell me what Rose's "breed" was, either.... ;-}
So that qualifies Suka as being a "Mystery Dog"!! Right on!! "Mystery Dogs" are the best kind of mixed breeds!! ;op

Mary Lou said...

Two Doodles and a Dane....
Thank-you for commenting!!
"Celebrate the mutts/mongrels/scruffs and weird and wonderful pooches!" Oh.... I do!! Every day!! ;op

Mary Lou said...

RYKER...
Thank-you for the comment!!
"Dogs don't make those distinctions, it's just us crazy people!" Agreed!! ;op

Alison said...

Very interesting post Raelyn. We are now in the politically correct generation. Certain words these days are just too taboo for the easily offended. My Zoe is a mutt and I am not ashamed of it!

Mary Lou said...

Alison....
Thanks for the comment!!
And you shouldn't be ashamed of Zoe being a mutt!! Not ever!! Say it with me now. "Mutt". "Mutt". "Mutt"!! ;op

Lauren @ Life With Desmond said...

I, too, am very proud to have a mutt. I love when we're out and people ask me what kind of dog Desmond is. :-)

In my studies at Animal Behavior College, we were taught to call mixed-breed dogs All-American dogs. The theory is that there are still many people who take offense to the word "mutt" and who wish they had something to call their dog besides a mixed breed. I don't know that I'll ever use it myself when I start my training business, but I'll at least pass along the terminology for whoever would like to use it.

Mary Lou said...

Lauren....
Thanks for the comment!!
You should be proud to own a mutt!! I could have adopted some Pedigree purebred, but choose not to. That's right. I choose not to!! ;)
"All-American dogs". I like that!! However.... I would much rather say "mutt" and be Politically Incorrect!! ;-]
Why? Because I am a rebel!! ;-}
Say it with me now. "Mutt". "Mutt". "Mutt"!! ;op