Thursday, July 25, 2013

Insane Or Crazy

Blogging Friends.... I did it again. I composed yet another poem about Robert Downey Jr., once again celebrating him being ten years drug-free this month!! Why? Because I'm insane, or crazy, or obsessed with Robert Downey Jr., or I really, really enjoy composing poetry.... Or I'm insane, or crazy, or all of the above!! {Why, yes. I did mean to repeat the "insane or crazy" part, lest anybody wonder!!} Also. I wanted to take on the challenge of composing another poem in Roads' setup. Artsy. Different. With "Roads", the first line has thirteen syllables, and its repeated line ten. There is a pattern going. That was done quite by accident!! Thus, I wanted to attempt it on purpose this time around!! Not just the result of a "happy accident". This poem is centered on Robert Downey Jr.'s eyes. It's a "second chance" from one which I composed last Summer. {Ironic? Perhaps just a bit!!} This poem was--for reasons beyond my comprehension--more challenging to write than "Roads". On one hand. I felt much more in control. But, on the other hand? It was daunting to compose for several reasons!! A challenge was making this poem different from "Roads". Then, about halfway through writing, I realized something. It was not artsy enough!! So. I went back to correct that!! Unlike with "Roads", emotions never washed over me. My biggest obstacle, actually, was Writer's Block!! Ah!! But I love, love, love Writer's Block!! It was emotional to compose nonetheless, even though my eyes never filled with tears. For inspiration, I Google-searched images of Robert Downey Jr. young. Yes, young. I had some pictures in mind. The lower he sank, the better for this poem. Yes, you read that correctly. The lower he sank, the better for this poem. There was one specific picture which I had in mind. Snapped during a court appearance. The year was--maybe--1996. Word of experience. If you sincerely love Robert Downey Jr., do not make eye contact with him in this picture. Why? Just trust me on this. No eye contact, okay? However. This picture did inspire my poem's second two lines!! And it was followed by a cosmic bout of Writer's Block!! Score!! After pounding those second two lines on this black desktop computer keyboard, I silently bid the picture good-bye, and thanked "him" for inspiring my poem {I am an oddball!! This I know!!}. Yes, his eyes which then were filled with such despair and sorrow did inspire my poem. Enough said. Then, after composing its final two lines, I pumped my fist!! In sincere jubilation for Robert Downey Jr.!! The top line of this poem has twelve syllables, and its repeated line nine. Okay. I am also reposting "Roads", so that you can compare the two. Enjoy!! Do please tell me which one you like best!!
 
Afterthought. My poetry is never traditional. I like that!! I make--and break!!--my own rules. That is just how this born-to-be-a-rebel rolls!! But one of the freedoms which comes with my approach is I can experiment!! I love that part!! Oh. And I'll never look at Robert Downey Jr.'s "Chocolate Diamond" eyes the same ever again!! Will you?  
 
"Chocolate Diamonds"
 
Written on 7-23-13
 
They say that the eyes are the windows to the soul;
The eyes are the windows to the soul;
Well, his reflected despair, and were sorrowful;
So much despair, they were sorrowful;
As a "bad boy" he glared at cameras with those eyes;
He glared at cameras with those brown eyes;
Reflecting a lost, lost, lost addict in disguise;
Reflecting an addict in disguise;
They say that the eyes are the windows to the soul;
The eyes are the windows to the soul;
His now reflect such happiness that they twinkle;
Oh, such happiness that they twinkle;
Like chocolate diamonds, his eyes glisten and sparkle;
With joy, his eyes glisten and sparkle;
Now, they reflect one decade of living drug-free;
Yes, one decade of living drug-free!!
 
 
"Roads"
 
Written on 7-18-13
 
My, he has an incredibly attractive smile;
An incredibly attractive smile;
Which has travelled with him upon dark roads for miles;
For miles, miles, miles and miles;
Wayward roads tampered by life choices, plus addictions;
Tampered by life choices, plus addictions;
On such roads, his death was many people's predictions;
His death was many people's predictions;
My, he has an incredibly attractive smile;
An incredibly attractive smile;
Which has travelled with him upon sweet roads for miles;
For miles, miles, miles and miles;
Ah, those dark roads which could have ended his film career;
Roads which could have ended his film career;
He has now been drug-free for ten miraculous years;
Yes, drug-free for ten miraculous years!!
 
 

10 comments:

Unknown said...

They are both brill but if we were forced to choose chocolate diamonds for us. Bravo and well done. Have a tremendous Thursday.
Best wishes Molly

Mary Lou said...

Molly....
Thank-you for the comment, Friend!!
"They are both brill but if we were forced to choose, chocolate diamonds for us. Bravo and well done.". Thank-you!! Score one for "Chocolate Diamonds"!! ;op

Sketching with Dogs said...

I like them both too but I like the Roads one better, it seems to symbolise his addiction and struggle with a career in the limelight.
Lynne x

Mary Lou said...

Lynne....
Thank-you for the comment, Friend!!
"I like them both too, but I like the Roads one better, it seems to symbolise his addiction and struggle with a career in the limelight.". Thank-you!! Score one for "Roads"!! ;op

Anonymous said...

I agree with Molly. Have a chocolate diamond for yourself! LOL! I do like the poem too.

Mary Lou said...

Finn....
Thank-you for the comment, Friend!!
"Have a chocolate diamond for yourself!". Crack. Me. Up!! ;-D
Thank-you!! Score two for "Chocolate Diamonds"!! ;op

Ryker said...

Both lovely!

Mary Lou said...

RYKER....
Thank-you for the comment, Friend!!
Both!! Why, thank-you!! Score one for both "Roads" and "Chocolate Diamonds"!! ;op

Unknown said...

wow great poems girl! I think I'll vote "Chocolate Diamonds" :)

Mary Lou said...

Ali....
Thank-you for the comment, Friend!!
"Wow, great poems girl! I think I'll vote 'Chocolate Diamonds'." Thank-you!! Score three for "Chocolate Diamonds"!! ;op