Saturday, November 29, 2014

Toxic "People Food" For Dogs

Blogging Friends.... Dear sweet Blogging Friends.... So I've been "missing in action" for, like, nearly one month, haven't I? Sorry about that!! Here is my very valid, completely honest explanation--er, excuse--as to why I have not posted on Beautifully Unique in so long!! Ready....? I have seemingly had a ton of deep, profound, soul searching issues weighing in my crazy never-shuts-down head this month. Three, actually!! {More shall be revealed!! Eventually!!} And, well, writing/journaling--not Blogging--has apparently taken first priority lately!! Whew!! My lame, completely honest explanation--er--excuse is over!! But take heart!! All of my sporadic Blogging is about to change shortly!! Why? Because the Christmas season is now fully upon us!! {Time to officially wave my Holiday Freak Flag proudly!!} And if I don't write Christmas-themed Blog posts twice a week in December, then my elf name is not Spunky Twinkletoes!! Love you later.

Taken from PetSmart Charities® and an old HealthyPets e-mail!! I combined the two!! My apologies if I repeated any facts!!

Keep "People Food" Off Your Pet's Holiday Menu

Keep your pet safe and healthy this holiday season by saying "no" to the following holiday foods:

Holiday table scraps. Pets love rich scraps such as drippings, gravy and poultry skin; however, they can cause pets to suffer from severe indigestion, diarrhea and even pancreatitis, which is not only terribly painful, but can be fatal. Never offer fatty foods to your pets and advise guests not to feed them either. Confession. Rose does receive a little bit of plump white boneless turkey meat {Because Life is short and it's Thanksgiving, after all!!} but I make certain that she does not eat too much!! Keep items such as mashed potatoes and gravy away from the ends of the table and counter tops so "counter surfing" pets can't reach them. Also, secure trash and keep it out of reach, such as under the sink.

Chocolate is very dangerous to pets. It contains high levels theobromine, which can over-stimulate the heart and is a diuretic. After their pet has eaten a large quantity of
chocolate, many pet owners assume their pet is unaffected. However, the signs of sickness may not be seen for several hours, with death following within twenty-four hours. Symptoms include staggering, labored breathing, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, tremors, fever, heart rate increase, arrhythmia, seizures, coma, death.
Just a few ounces of chocolate can be fatal for a small dog. Keep all types of chocolate out of reach of dogs and cats, especially baker's chocolate, which is seven times more toxic than milk chocolate. Cocoa powder and cooking chocolate are the most toxic forms. A 10-kilogram dog can be seriously affected if "he" eats a quarter of a 250gm packet of cocoa powder or half of a 250gm block of cooking chocolate. These forms of chocolate contain ten times more theobromine than milk chocolate. Thus, a chocolate mud cake could be a real health risk for a small dog. Even licking a substantial part of the chocolate icing from a cake can make a dog unwell. Semi-sweet chocolate and dark chocolate are the next most dangerous forms, with milk chocolate being the least dangerous. A dog needs to eat more than a 250gm block of milk chocolate to be affected. Obviously, the smaller the dog, the less it needs to eat.

Poultry bones can splinter and form sharp points, and can get stuck in the gastrointestinal tract causing dangerous perforations. They might also become lodged in the throat, gums or the roof of the mouth. Pets can't resist a juicy bone, so make sure they can't steal one! Also, remove skewers and string from the turkey, as well as that delicious roasting bag that a pet would love to devour. Your pet could end up having surgery to remove such items from his digestive tract. I empty our tall kitchen garbage immediately as soon as my Mom finishes pulling the turkey meat off its bones!!

Xylitol is a sugar substitute found in gum, mints, candy, baked goods. Even 1/8 teaspoon can cause dangerously low blood sugar in dogs and ½ teaspoon can cause liver damage.

Uncooked yeast dough raises major health issues. Hard to believe there's a downside to homemade bread, but uncooked yeast dough can cause abdominal pain, bloating, vomiting, disorientation and depression in pets. The product of rising dough is alcohol, which can be poisonous.

Alcohol and pets do not mix. Place alcoholic drinks safely out of reach, and patrol the party to be sure your guests do the same. Alcohol poisoning is serious and can be fatal. Never give alcohol to a pet.

No coffee please! That means anything with coffee in it, from gourmet, chocolate-covered espresso beans to your morning latte. Caffeine creates symptoms in pets such as restlessness, tremors and seizures depending on the amount that is ingested.

Macadamia nuts cause severe reactions, including muscular weakness, disorientation, depression, tremors and abdominal pain in dogs. Dogs develop a tremor of the skeletal muscles, and weakness or paralysis of the hindquarters. Affected dogs are often unable to rise and are distressed, usually panting. Some affected dogs have swollen limbs and show pain when the limbs are manipulated. Symptoms can last from one to three days. Their high phosphorus content is said to possibly lead to bladder stones.

No grapes or raisins! Dogs have suffered poisoning after consuming between 9 ounces and 2 pounds of grapes or raisins. As few as a handful of raisins or grapes can make a dog ill. Symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, lethargy, severe gastrointestinal upset to kidney failure.

Mushroom toxicity does occur in dogs and it can be fatal if certain species of mushrooms are eaten. Amanita phalloides is the most commonly reported severely toxic species of mushroom in the U.S. but other Amanita species are toxic. Symptoms include abdominal pain, drooling, liver damage, kidney damage, vomiting diarrhea, convulsions, coma, death.

Baby foods can contain onion powder, which can be toxic to dogs. Can also result in nutritional deficiencies, if fed in large amounts. I have baked Rose twain different dog treat recipes which call for baby food. {One of which I have yet to post on Beautifully Unique.} I always pre-read the baby food's ingredients before mixing it into Rose's treat batter!! So far so good!!

Bones from fish can cause obstruction or laceration of the digestive system. The same goes for chicken, as well!!

Cat food is generally too high in protein and fats.

Fat trimmings can cause pancreatitis.

Milk & dairy food: Some adult dogs do not have sufficient amounts of the enzyme lactase, which breaks down the lactose in milk. Rose has zero issues with dairy products!! Are you kidding me?! Rose love, love, loves cheese!! This can result in diarrhea. Lactose-free milk products are available for pets.

Raw Eggs contain an enzyme called avidin, which decreases the absorption of biotin (a B vitamin). This can lead to skin and hair coat problems. Raw eggs may also contain Salmonella.

Raw Fish can result in a thiamine (a B vitamin) deficiency leading to loss of appetite, seizures, and in severe cases, death. More common if raw fish is fed regularly. I read this in one of my dog books. Raw, or undercooked salmon, steelhead and trout from the Northwest carries flukes that can cause Salmon Poisoning. "It is not the fish itself that causes canine salmon poisoning but the presence of a bacteria--Neorickettsia helminthoeca--that lives in one of the salmon's internal parasites. This parasite, a fluke, travels throughout the fish's circulatory system, invading its muscles as well. When a dog eats uncooked fish, he ingests these flukes--and the pathogenic bacteria they contain. The flukes pass through the dog's intestinal tract, but the lethal bacteria remains behind, causing disease and often death." Eating small amounts of raw or undercooked salmon, steelhead and trout can kill your dog. Symptoms are slight fever, followed by a loss of appetite. Then higher fever, often reaching dangerous levels. Above 107 is considered a lethal temperature for canines. Even if they survive the 107 degree fever, worst, oft deadly symptoms include this. Severe diarrhea and dehydration. Few dogs survive untreated.

Keep contact information for your veterinarian and the nearest emergency veterinary clinic readily available.

Call or visit the veterinarian immediately at the first signs of injury or illness. You can use a pet first-aid kit to treat minor injuries, so be sure you have one on hand.

So, dear Blogging Friends. Please keep this information in mind if you're like me and own a "food-lovin'" dog as you celebrate the Christmas season!! Or Hanukkah. Or Kwanza. Or Solstice. Or New Years....


2 comments:

Sketching with Dogs said...

We all need to take a break sometimes. Glad you are all rested and back in Blogville.
I knew about quite a few of those foods but not the salmon. Thanks for the warning.
Lynne x

Raelyn said...

Lynne....
Thank-you for the comment, Friend!!
"We all need to take a break sometimes. Glad you are all rested and back in Blogville." Thanks....!! ;-D
"I knew about quite a few of those foods but not the salmon. Thanks for the warning." Your welcome!! I learned a few new "no-no" foods myself from the Petsmart Charities e-mail!! ;op