Monday, February 13, 2012

She Chewed WHAT?!

Rose has acquired a strange newfound urge to chew up plastic bags. Yep. Plastic bags!! She has never seemed attracted to anything unless it involves food.... Hence why this feels so strange. Our laundry "room"/pantry is currently in the process of a minor remodeling project. Jars and bottles of food items are neatly being stored upon the kitchen table. Cookbooks have been stacked against a wall in our great room. Seriously.... Right now, our home is in an organized mess!! So the other day, everybody--excluding Rose--escaped the house for a few hours. We grabbed some fast lunch, and ran an errand or two. Before leaving Rose behind, I mark off a mental list of things to do. Chairs on couches--check. This way, Rose stays off of them while we are away. Dog pillow out of my bedroom and against our leather loveseat--check. This way, Rose has someplace comfortable to sleep while we are apart. All doors closed--check. This way, Rose has zero accidents in "our" bedroom. Radio turned on--check. This way, Rose can listen to a little contemporary country music while missing me. Kitchen garbage closed up or emptied--check. This way, Rose does not raid it.... Even though she never has!! Toys strewn out on our great room carpet--check. This way, Rose can enjoy some playtime while feeling abandoned.... Which she always does!! Any food pushed back; Chocolate put away--check. Every canine owner understands my reason behind that one!! And, like a robot which was pre-programmed by super-intelligent human beings, I check off the mental list.... Usually in record time, too!! I am the type of dog owner who tries to think about everything.... Even if it is not an issue with Rose!! Plus I'm a worrier. I surveyed all the food on our kitchen table before leaving!! Better safe than sorry.... But I was never prepared to return home and discover bits of slobbery chewed up plastic bag all over our great room carpet!! Really?! I was suddenly shocked.... And concerned for Rose's health. How much of that plastic bag had she ingested? None, if not hardly at all.... She chewed through it like a minuscule mouse would in our garage. Then, realizing that there was no food items inside, Rose spit the plastic bag out!! So what, exactly, had it contained? Unused recipe cards!! Why? I wondered. Then, two days later, we left for church. Again, I went through my mental checklist. This time, I added something new to it. I put up a plastic bag which held appliance instruction books!! However.... I forgot something. In our kitchen, lying on the floor, is a hardware store bag which held remodeling items. Bottles and cans that she could only open with thumbs, and an unused paintbrush roll. Rose had been previously curious about them, which I also forgot. Sigh.... I hate my short-term memory loss!! As soon as I stepped foot into our white magnetic front door, Rose's evidence glared at me!! We returned from church, a little after 2PM, and what should be scattered all over our great room carpet? The paintbrush roll, unwrapped!! Again, Rose had chewed up its plastic bag. Again, she spit it all out. Plus, Rose chewed a small bite through the paintbrush roll!! That she ingested. Rose was, as always, verbally excitable, baying while waving around a toy within her mouth. "Multi-tasking".... This time, I was more frustrated than shocked. I forget about the items on our kitchen floor!! I was displeased with Rose, and let her know. While she demanded attention, I ignored my mongrel. I cleaned up her mess, once again concerned for Rose's health. Oooh, I was frustrated with myself!! How could I forget the items in our kitchen? Next, I fed Rose. I closely monitored her. She was not lethargic. Nothing stuck out of her anus following a bowel movement. She never vomited. Then, forgiveness. I sat upon my bed and stroked Rose's velvet-soft fur. We were okay....

6 comments:

Charlene and Storm said...

ooooh rose you little monkey!

Mary Lou said...

Charlene and Storm....
Thank-you for the comment!!
And.... Welcome back!! I am glad you enjoyed your snowy get-away with Stormy!! ;op
Happy Valentine's Day!!

Stacey said...

oh, Rose! She sounds like such a character. Hope she stays away from them from now on

Mary Lou said...

Stacey....
Thank-you for commenting!!
Yes, keeping Rose away from plastic bags is the plan from now on.... It's just that I never would have guessed!! Seriously?! Plastic bags? ;op
Happy Valentine's Day!!

Ruby said...

Wow! How scary to come home to find out she had done that, and then to sit and wait for "the results". I am so glad she is okay, and hope you're not beating yourself up too much (remember, we are a lot alike, so I know how you felt!). Just try and learn from it and be thankful for God's sovereign care!

Mary Lou said...

Ruby....
Thank-you for commenting!!
Yeah.... We left her again the other day for a few hours, and I added to my mental list "Any plastic bags lying around--check."!! But I was still nervous.... Even though nothing happened!! ;op
Don't worry.... I am long over any butt-kicking!! ;-}