Thursday, March 22, 2012

A Hidden "Treasure"

Blogging Friends: It feels as though I am long overdue for a dog story post!! This occurred probably one year ago or so, but I forgot to write about it!! Oops. And it is actually a "bad dog story"!! Enjoy!!


When you adopt a canine, especially an adult, there is this usually brief season of "becoming acquainted" with your newest family member. Her behavioral issues. His "personality". Her antics. His inbred traits that make him who he is. It's a learning experience, much like parenthood, and you glean some wisdom along the way. I was walking Rose one Sunday morning. Up and down our cul-de-sac. She was sniffing a patch of grass. Quite eagerly. My Attention Deficit Disorder had fully commanded me.... I was distracted. We were still in the "adjustment period" with Rose, continuously getting to know this beautifully unique little girl. Such as her anxiety disorder. Or "accidents" as resulted. Her "Beagle bay". Or that begging problem. Her obsession with human food. Needless to mention, Rose was still surprising me!! So we were walking, as my mind wandered. She was sniffing that patch of grass. Eagerly. When suddenly, sans warning, I heard this peculiar sound!! Crunch, crunch, crunch. I glanced down at Rose. Her jaws were moving!! I heard the sound again: Crunch, crunch, crunch. "What are you eating?" I squealed aloud. There was zero time to lose. Rose could have found something bad for her, or worse, poisonous, lying in that grass!! So the next thing I found myself doing was gently prying open her mouth. With a lot of determination!! There was something inside there, and I wanted it out!! Now!! However, as I attempted to retrieve the unidentified object, it sank down toward Rose's throat!! No, no, no!! Hand within her mouth, I knew this was an impossible plan. If I even tried to succeed, I'd risk choking Rose!! Sigh.... But at least now it was no longer an unidentified object!! Nope!! I knew what she was "snacking" on!! I could see it!! Obviously!! It was a narrow tubular-shaped pasta noodle!! That's right!! So I was forced to give up. Crunch, crunch, crunch. My mongrel's jaws moved up and down, up and down, as she ingested the noodle with satisfaction!! Rose, Rose, Rose.... What am I going to do with you?

4 comments:

lifewithmydogs said...

Pasta? She sniffed out pasta? That's so funny!

Mary Lou said...

Thank-you for the comment!!
Oh yeah.... My Rose will sniff out and eat anything off sidewalks or grass whenever there's food involved!! I have learned to watch her.... ;op

Stacey said...

aww, she's such a sweet little girl! I'm always finding my girls chomping on things round the house... I try and try like you did to get them out but it's like having eyes in the back of your head. Dogs are like kids! haha.

Mary Lou said...

Stacey....
Thank-you for the comment!!
"Dogs are like kids".... I could not agree with you more on that one!! ;op