Monday, March 5, 2012

Two Green Birds

Our neighbors down the cul-de-sac, best as I can tell, own four pets. Brandy, their yappy purebred canine. This fat black feline. Plus twain green birds. During our daily walks, Rose and I pass their house. While Brandy oft yaps at us, those beautiful green-hued birds sometimes squawk out words. Like trained parrots do. Words, that if I listen carefully, are really quite coherent!! Or, they "sing" this pretty whistle-like sound. Whenever those birds "speak", it of course sparks Rose's attention!! Every time. Just this morning, they were busy squawking away. If memory serves me right, Rose stopped sniffing their mailbox post which she had her nostrils firmly planted. Immediately. Her head jerked up suddenly, and faced our neighbors' house. She stood, stock-still. Rose's ears perked. Her forehead furrowed. My mongrel's black nose twitched back and forth, as though it would fall off. Her mind was, once again, filled with endless queries!! Hey!! What is that? She wondered. That house is talking again!! Where's it coming from? Then, while the green birds flew, swayed, and squawked in their shared cage, as they always do, she just stared at them for several minutes, motionless like a statue!! Rose's consistent "hound" tendencies to smell and explore everything those talented nostrils lead was gone!! That natural instinct of hers which seemingly runs on overdrive!! Vanished!! Conquered by curiosity!! Temporarily.... Soon enough, Rose moved on. Then she burrowed her black nose into some green grass....

6 comments:

Stacey said...

aw, I have to say I LOVE your stories about Rose :-) I try to capture my girls with a camera but I'm so jealous you do it so well for Rose through words.

Mary Lou said...

Stacey....
Thanks for the comment!!
You are so sweet. I sort of feel the same way about many blog author's wonderful photographs. Their pictures are always so beautiful!! ;-}
You have a gift, Stacey. Your photographs are incredible!! My gift just happens to be with words. ;)

Charlene and Storm said...

wooo Raelyn your famous, finally on coffee with a canine!! yipee!!!

Mary Lou said...

charlene and Storm....
Thank-you for taking the first step in allowing me to be on Coffee With A Canine.... You're an amazing friend!! ;-D

Rama's Mama said...

Hi there! New follower via gfc. Saw you on Coffee With A Canine! Love your blog and look forward to reading more!

Mary Lou said...

Rama's Mama....
Thank-you for the comment!!
I am glad you love my blog!! ;-D