Thursday, September 27, 2012

Creek In The Woods


Blogging Friends.... Hi. This Blog post was supposed to be "published" on Monday. But. Life has been so busy this week!! Church on Sunday. As usual!! I had two needles injected--one which was the flu shot--on Monday. I like needles!! I know, I know. I am weird!! We drove to our local zoo on Tuesday!! That is always fun!! Then, yesterday, I visited with my Grampa, as some people went shopping. All the while trying--aimlessly!!--to write and finish this Blog post!! Oy. I spent two insane consecutive late nights working on this!! By the time yesterday rolled around, I was exhausted, emotional, overwhelmed, and physically achy. Not good. I recall telling my Mom that I was attempting to evade a mood swing at the moment. But, truth be told? How can you evade something that is already under way? My mood swing did not last long, fortunately!! I am happy once more, laughing, smiling, singing songs out of tune.... Life is good!!

Here's my second installment about our mini-vacation!!

Water. I find such peace and serenity just staring at nature's "pools"!! Whether it be a foaming ocean tide. Or. A rushing river. Or. A silent creek. I could stare at water for hours on end!! Years ago, I was 18. I had been struggling to figure myself out, while also beginning a pity party. This dangerous pastime of mine which would expand for over one decade. Way too long. We were attending some church campout. Diverse physical activities had been prepared. People all around me were happily participating in them. But, I am an oddball outsider!! I refused to play any games!! Besides, I was lost, newly graduated, and composing poetry within my head!! So, I wandered aimlessly toward this body of water. I just stood there, alone, and utterly mesmerized. I watched it flow. I listened to the water's movement. And, suddenly, my mind was at peace!! Temporarily. Fast-forward to present time. I am now 28, and enjoying my best year in a long, long, long time!! I'm writing.... For this Blog which is internationally known!! I am accepting myself.... And that "terrible privilege" of mine called premature short-term memory loss!! I own a Beautifully Unique mutt named Rose. I am "doing right" and working hard against those dreaded "character defects" of mine. My pity party is over.... For the most part!! And, I can still stare at nature's water for hours and hours on end!! I still find it peacefully serene!! The cabin where we stayed in overlooked this creek. It was a cute body of water!! There were several trees across this creek. Two of which, if memory serves me right, that had small triangular-shaped openings. It looked as though troll dolls with their brightly-hued hair should reside there!! I, of course, never saw any!! Sadly. I did, however--with my baby blue crock-like shoes on--step foot into the creek's icy-cold water!! It felt so refreshing!! Rose, her red leash still attached to my right arm, joined me!! Reluctantly, at first. I had to do a bit of encouraging!! "Come on, girl!! The water feels great!!" I coaxed. Okay. So I told a little white lie to my canine!! Possibly deliberately. Who knows? But, I did not scream as icy-cold water seeped through my croc-like shoes' holes!! Nope!! Nor did I shiver, even!! As usual, Rose and I were not on the same page. Why would we be? For she wanted to lap up the creek's crisp clear water, like some docile-looking deer!! So. Sans a single paw touching its small slimy rocks, her pink tongue dipped into the water!! "No!! Don't drink it!!" I said. I gently pulled her mouth away. "Walk in it. Come on!!" Rose's four paw pads finally did touch the creek's water. But, so did her tongue!! I wonder how it tasted? The following day, we walked down there one last time before leaving. I stepped foot into its icy cold waters. Again. I encouraged my little girl to follow suit. Again. She refused. Literally. Rose looked up at my face as if to complain: You're crazy, Mama!! Why are we doing this again? Well. I am somewhat crazy!! And Rose is no water dog!! That's okay....    

 

 

24 comments:

Sankissjuice said...

My dog has a red leash too. You have been really busy. Good to hear from you.

Sankissjuice

Bella Roxy & Macdui said...

We love water...and it is peaceful. Glad you're feeling happy again.

XXXOOO Daisy, Bella & Roxy

Unknown said...

We love the water too. Any water. We are glad to read you are OK. Have a fabulous Friday filled with much sun and fun for you and Rosie.
Best wishes Molly

Mary Lou said...

Sankissjuice....
Thank-you for the comment!!
Red is my favorite color, and has been ever since I was 16!! Rose's leashes were actually Shadow's. ;)
Yeah. Life is finally slowing down!! We are expecting some new friends from church over on Saturday, but I get a two-day breather, at least!! ;op

Sherri / 2Rescues said...

First - I'd like to say that it lifts my spirit to see you write about going to church. That seems to be taboo these days in mainstream media, but I have witnessed in the blog world that it isn't. Thank you.

Second - I love water. So does Thumper. Lightning - not so much. He gets scared when he hears water trickling. I believe that's because his young master darn near drowned him as a pup while giving him a bath! Poor Lightning. Glad you are back from vacay!

Mary Lou said...

Daisy, Bella & Roxy....
Thank-you for the comment!!
Yeah. It is always quite alarming when you are on "happy time", then, suddenly, sans any warning, that moment gets sucked away!! :-(
Isn't water peaceful? I even think I like the calm effects of fountains!! Everything about water is peaceful!! ;op

Mary Lou said...

Molly....
Thank-you for the comment!!
Yeah. It is always quite alarming when you are on "happy time", then, suddenly, sans any warning, that moment gets sucked away!! Quite. Alarming!! :-(
Even waterfalls are peacefully serene to stand and stare at!! ;op

Mary Lou said...

Sherri....
Thank-you for the comment!!
Yeah, we go to church!! Every Sunday morning!! Plus Wednesday evening!! Talking about going to church is a "taboo" subject? I wonder why....? Well. I have never really been one to concern myself over issues which are taboo, anyway!! Hee, hee, hee.... ;-}
I'm baaack!! I haven't any clues as to where I went, but I'm back!! Hee, hee, hee.... ;op

Remington said...

Going to church is great! AND water is FUN!

Mary Lou said...

Remington....
Thank-you for the comment!!
Yep!! Going to church is great!! Absolutely!! And I might consider water to be a bit more fun.... If I could swim!! Hee, hee, hee.... ;op

Ryker said...

I bet that creek was tasty and refreshing. I would go all the way in if you threw a stick in it!

Mary Lou said...

RYKER....
Thank-you for the comment!!
Yeah. There is the question of "If I 'cut the chain loose' and allowed Rose to chase something, would she become soaked?". But then. Rose does not retrieve!! Anything!! Hee, hee, hee.... ;op

Tweedles -- that's me said...

I love splashing in water!
love
tweedles

Mary Lou said...

Tweedles....
Thanks for the comment!!
Do you? Well.... Rose is terrified of our hose water!! Hee, hee, hee.... ;op

Suka said...

So happy to hear your 28th year of life is so happy and good for you! Life certainly does have its cycles of good and bad, ups and downs, and I am glad you are in a good-up period and I really hope it continues for you!

Your little creek sounds so nice and peaceful! I love water as well, especially listening to waterfalls, even the smallest little dribbles over rocks and such. It is very soothing and calming. I love how some of the most relaxing, beautiful things in life can be just outside your door! And free!

Suka is totally not a water dog. He is snow, 100% He will only step into water if it is 100+ degrees and his feet are hot. Other than that, like Rose he will drink it up but not wade or swim in it. :->

K and Suka

Mary Lou said...

K and Suka....
Thank-you for the comment!!
"Life certainly does have its cycles of good and bad, ups and downs.". True!! And the "ups" are way more enjoyable than its "downs", that's for certain!! ;)
"I love how some of the most relaxing, beautiful things in life can be just outside your door! And free!". Amazing, huh? ;-D
Snow?! Really? Rose seemingly likes snow, as well.... Whenever we experience such weather, she is curious!! ;op

Stacey said...

Gosh, can't believe you like needles ;-) Was gonna say good luck for you but seems you don't need it hehe. Love hearing about your holiday! Lucky thing, I really need to plan a little break!

Mary Lou said...

Stacey....
Thank-you for commenting!!
Well, the flu shot did hurt. I'd be lying if I said I never felt it!! The other needle? I felt nothing!! Some people are terrified of needles. Me? I sit there and calmly watch my blood fill a nurse's cup-like container!! I am so weird!! ;-}
The blue-eyed man who gave me my flu shot remarked that this personality would make an excellent nurse!! Wow.... I told him that I'm not intelligent enough to be a nurse!! Hee, hee, hee.... ;op

Ziggy Stardust said...

I am with you Rosie, no water for this girl!

Loveys Sasha

Mary Lou said...

Sasha....
Thank-you for the comment!!
Oh, you're not a water dog, either? That is okay!! I am not a "water person". I cannot swim!! ;op

bbes tribe said...

Hi, We were visiting Suka and saw a link to your blog. We like meeting amd visiting new furiends and having them visit us. We like the sounds of your creek. Some of us would like it more than others.
Haave a good day and we are glad we met you.
Wags
Ernie,Sasha,Chica,Lucas, and Rosie
Thanks Suka

Alison said...

It's ok Rose, not every dog enjoys the water. I grew up with retriever breeds that wouldn't go near even the smallest puddle of water. Zoe is my first ever water dog.

Mary Lou said...

Ernie,Sasha,Chica,Lucas, and Rosie....
Thank-you for the comment!!
Wow!! A new Blogging Friend!! Or should that be plural? Hee, hee, hee.... ;-}
I am glad to have "met" you, as well!! Come back again!! ;op

Mary Lou said...

Alison....
Thank-you for the comment!!
That reminds me!! My first mutt, Shadow, was part Golden Retriver and never really enjoyed water either!! But, that is just as well. Because I cannot swim!! So. Needless to say, should my girl run recklessly into deep waters, I would drown going after her!! ;op