Saturday, May 4, 2013

Arc Reactor Treats


"I've got a cluster of shrapnel, trying every second to crawl its way into my heart. This--stops it. This little circle of light. It's part of me now, not just armor. It's a... terrible privilege.". Today has been emotional for me, but only in warm, positive ways. Tears have filled my eyes, and gratitude has filled my heart. Why? Because 365 days ago, on May 4th, 2012, we saw "The Avengers". 365 days ago, on May 4th, 2012, Tony Stark/Iron Man profoundly changed my life with that line. "Its a... terrible privilege.". Wow, one year. I never could have imagined that I'd be inspired by such a character as Tony Stark, or the path God would set me on afterward. A journey toward self-acceptance. We saw "Iron Man 3" in some local theater yesterday. What an amazing one-year anniversary event!! We did not see it in the theater where Tony Stark reached through its screen with his muscular arms and grabbed me. Touched my heart. No, we saw it elsewhere!! However, I entered this theater wide-eyed and observant, as if awaiting another life-changing impact. I witnessed their "Iron Man 3" movie poster. This theater's old-fashioned looking light fixtures. Red beams which illumined their stairs. Diverse people who entered long after us, as we arrived a bit early. Kids. Adults. Teenagers. This guy wearing an Iron Man T-shirt. Yes, I observed everything--for memory's sake--just in case Tony Stark "spoke" to me!! And.... Nothing!! Isn't that just like Tony Stark? Now, I will not give away any "spoilers" from "Iron Man 3". I can keep secrets, remember? But, I will say this. It was very, very, very good!!
So, in celebration of 365 days since Tony Stark/Iron Man did change my life, I decided to do something crazy. Crazy, even for me!! I am self-described as being "artistically-challenged". Yet, I baked Rose arc reactor biscuits this morning!! Yes, arc reactor biscuits!! What on earth was I thinking? That I am freakin' Martha Stewart?! Anyway. I used this circular cutter. Then, I took a knife, and carved an upside-down triangle. Inside it, I carved this smaller upside-down triangle. Three lines. And, that is it!! They are far from being flawless. But I am proud of them!! And they taste like cinnamon!! Mmmm!!
 
Rose would rate this recipe four "paws" way, way up!!

Fruity Biscuits

The berries used in this recipe make the biscuits an unusual purplish color. {They are brown!!} If you use raspberries only, they'll be pink, which can make a fun Valentine's Day or Christmas biscuit. If you don't have blueberries or raspberries on hand, you can try some other type of fruit. This biscuit's sweetness is a real treat for dogs with a sweet tooth.

--For the egg wash--
1 egg
Pinch of salt

--For the batter--
1 cup whole wheat flour, plus extra for rolling {I used white flour for rolling!!}
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup soy flour {We haven't any soy flour. So, because the rebel within me loves to use alternate ingredients, I did 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour and 1 1/2 cups white flour!!}
2 tablespoons flax seed meal or wheat germ {I chose wheat germ.}
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup warm water
1/4 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen) {Mine were frozen!!}
1/2 cup raspberries (fresh or frozen) {Mine were frozen!!}
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon safflower oil {We haven't any safflower oil. So, as again, the rebel within me loves to use alternate ingredients, I did canola oil!!}
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 375 F. For the egg wash, beat one egg in a small bowl and add a pinch of salt. {I whisked it!! Because I am a rebel!!} Set aside. {For the future. When baking arc reactor treats, I will leave out this egg wash. Why? Because the egg seeped through my arc reactors, hiding its art!!}In a large bowl, combine the flours, flax seed meal or wheat germ, and cinnamon. In a food processor, {I think that any blender will work just as well, for those who do not own food processors!!} combine the water, fruit, honey, oil, the two eggs, and vanilla. Pulse until smooth. Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry ingredients and stir to combine. (Don't fret if there are little pieces of fruit visible.) {No visible pieces of fruit. However, I did run into some minor complications right about here. First, my dough was a bit dry. So, I added water. Just a little bit!! Then, the dough was so gooey, that it bonded to my hands!! Literally!! I defeated gravity with it!! So, I began to knead my dough on our floured countertop. At last, something that I could work with formed!!} Knead the dough in the bowl until it makes a nice ball and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface. {Dramatic eye roll. This rebel should have followed instructions!! Whatever.} Roll out to a 1/4-inch thickness and cut with cookie cutters. Place biscuits on ungreased baking sheets. {I misread that. I greased my pan!! Oh well!!} Using a pastry brush, brush egg wash on top of each biscuit. Bake for 15 minutes or until tops are browned. {I baked twelve treats at a time for 25 minutes!!} For crunchier cookies, turn the oven down to 200 F and bake for an additional hour or two, or until they reach the desired crunchiness. Store at room temperature in a loosely covered container. {To avoid any molding, I froze most of my little arc reactors!!}
          

 

 

 
     

12 comments:

Bella Roxy & Macdui said...

We may continue to buy our treats!

XXXOOO Daisy, Bella & Roxy

Unknown said...

Glad you enjoyed IM3 and happy 1 year anniversary and we are so glad it changed your life for the better. No baking here....it is spring cleaning and boy is it long overdue. Have a serene Sunday.
Best wishes Molly

Mary Lou said...

Daisy, Bella & Roxy....
Thank-you for the comment!!
Buy your treats?! Hey.... These were actually quite easy to bake!! You tell HER that!! ;)
But I understand. I usually purchase Rose's treats!! ;op

Mary Lou said...

Molly....
Thank-you for the comment!!
"Happy 1 year anniversary and we are so glad it changed your life for the better.". Thanks!! I am still scratching my head in utter bewilderment on how a dude like Tony Stark can dramatically and profoundly change me!! ;op

Eva the Sheltie said...

Thanks for sharing the recipe. I'll try it out soon.

Mary Lou said...

Sugar.... {my Sherlock Holmes within me tracked you down!!} ;)
Thanks for the comment!!
Happy baking!! ;op

Golden Woofs! SUGAR said...

Woof! Woof! Don't forget to add this post/url on our Tasty Tuesday blog hop. Lots of Golden Woofs, Sugar

Mary Lou said...

Sugar....
Thank-you for the comment, Friend!! And you're a new Follower of my Blog, as well!! Score!! ;op

Sketching with Dogs said...

The fruity biscuits sound lovely, I will have to make them for my sons who all have a sweet tooth, thanks for the recipe.
Lynne x

Mary Lou said...

Lynne....
Thank-you for the comment!!
Your welcome for this recipe!! Happy baking!! ;op

Ryker said...

Wow, Rose is one lucky pup!

Mary Lou said...

RYKER....
Thank-you for the comment!!
"Rose is one lucky pup!". Yeah. I do not deserve such a wonderful girl!! ;op