Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Flyin' My Christmas Freak Flag!!

Blogging Friends.... Fun games. I rather enjoy them!! Bridal shower games. Baby shower games. Ellen DeGeneres' talk show games. Especially when such games are Christmas-y!! Well, on her Blog today, Kelle Hampton partook in something festive and fun!! "The best of the best for December". So I thought I'd play along!! We were supposed to leave our answers in the comment box. However. I am a rebel!! Besides. My answers are far too long for a little comment box!! I also made several changes, as per usual!! Enjoy!! Love you later.
  
Favorite Christmas film. Prancer. I grew up with this film because its main character, Jessica, reminds everybody of little girl me!! And as soon as the Christmas season begins? I quote lines from Prancer in my crazy never-shuts-down head!!

Runners up. The Santa Clause trilogy. {With Tim Allen!! Love him!!} Miracle on 34th Street {Both the old and new versions!!} It's a Wonderful Life. The Nativity Story. .... There are so many good holiday films out there!!

Favorite Christmas song. Bruce Springsteen's rockin' live version of "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town"!! Because.... Bruce!! Hello? Need I say more?! I do not think so!! For me, it just is not Christmas until I hear this song!! Because when Bruce Springsteen calls out "You guys know what time it is? What time, huh? What? What? Oh, Christmas time!" he not only catches my attention. He awakens my Christmas Spirit like nobody--and I mean nobody--can!! "Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer". Why? Because we are Kindred Spirits, Rudolph and I. I was born different. My birth defects were craniosynostosis. Congenital diaphragmatic hernia. And Wolff-Parkinson White syndrome. Rudolph? He was born with a bright red nose!! I have been made fun of, called nasty names and--yes--left out of "reindeer games". As has he!! I am a misfit in this world. As is he!! Simply put? Rudolph and I "get" each other!! {I don't have a specific favorite version of that song.... Although I do love it whenever the radio plays Harry Connick Jr.'s!! Martina MacBride's version of "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas". Because that song has been there for me on more than one occasion!! "Little Saint Nick" by The Beach Boys. I call it "Run, Run Reindeer", because I love renaming songs!! During Christmas 2005, I was afflicted with pneumonia. An illness which I would never wish upon anybody!! Whenever the radio played "Little Saint Nick", it made my entire Christmas!! I love it!! And to keep Christ in Christmas? "Hark! The Herald Angel Sing". Because of its timeless, beautiful doctrinally sound lyrics!! Oh, I could go on and on and on....

Favorite Christmas tradition. Well.... Now that I am an adult, many of my fondest Christmas traditions have sadly stopped. So I will be nostalgic!! One. We enjoyed annual cookie exchanges at my Aunt and Uncle's house. Yum!! I always sat at the table where my Grandmother's "old" friends--who are now mostly all gone--were. We ate cookies while I charmed them!! For some reason they loved little pain-in-the-ass me!! Two. My oldest brother played his acoustic guitar as we sang various Christmas songs at my grandparents' house every Christmas Eve!! I especially loved it when he played "We Three Kings"!! Because at the "O, star of wonder, star of bright, star of royal beauty bright" my oldest brother got silly and really strummed that guitar!! Ah, memories!! Every year, we drove to a tree farm with my Grandparents, Aunt, Uncle and cousins. Once there? My Dad chopped down our "perfect" tree as we all yelled "Timber!!" Later, my Grandparents handed out various Hallmark Christmas ornaments. We have collected so many over the years!!

Dear Blogging Friends.... You may play along too!! Your turn!! 

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh dear we don't have any of those except we have the European tradition of opening presents on Christmas eve. Love your choices. Have a tremendous Thursday.
Best wishes Molly

Mary Lou said...

Molly....
"Oh dear we don't have any of those except we have the European tradition of opening presents on Christmas eve." That is alright!! I would love the European tradition of opening presents on Christmas eve!! ;op

Sketching with Dogs said...

What a lovely thing to do, I would enjoy a Christmas cookie exchange with one of my family.
Lynne x

Mary Lou said...

Lynne....
Thank-you for the comment, Friend!!
"What a lovely thing to do, I would enjoy a Christmas cookie exchange with one of my family." Yum, right?! ;op