Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Dog Lovers


Blogging Friends.... I wanted to take a moment to express my gratitude toward all of you for your comments on the other day's post. Wow. What an amazingly loving accepting community Blogville is!!

I also wanted to elaborate on something. I was born a "cranio baby". I emerged from my mother that way. But this medical condition was long-ago surgically repaired!! I do not suffer from craniosynostosis anymore!! Just learning disabilities and premature short-term memory loss. I have also since thought up twain other reasons to tout a "terrible privilege" regarding being born different. One I forgot. The other, I thought of just yesterday!! Oops. Due to my "developmental delays", I have a younger-than-"normal" brain. It is "elementary" as I always tell people. Because of this, I am young at heart. Thus, I can entertain and play well with children, as the "favorite" one!! That is a terrible privilege. Plus. 28 years ago, when I was facing a third scull operation, my poor Dad complained to somebody at work about our problems. Bemoaned them, most likely!! This very bold man simply said: "Take your daughter to church. She will be prayed for. She'll be healed!!" My parents did. I was prayed over. And I no longer needed that third scull operation!! A miracle performed. Just like that!! Then, my parents asked the Lord into their hearts. Which was another miracle. And we have been Christians ever since!! All because of my craniosynostosis. That is a terrible privilege. The ultimate terrible privilege.

Some people are naturals at certain things. And it requires little, if not zero, effort. As though they were born to be that way. Like an actor's theatrical skills. A mother's maternal instincts. Or an author's writing. And some people can also be natural-born dog lovers. I was!! As a little girl growing up in this busy city, we would be walking to Fred Meyer's, for instance, and there, perched on some outside bench, is somebody with his/her canine. Ooooh!! Immediately, my little hands touched the beautiful four legged creature. Against Mom's wishes!! After all, some canines are "mean" and will "bite". I should always "ask his owner" if it is okay. Those were valid reasons. And very good rules!! But I am a rebel. And I love canines!! What can I say? My nearly eight-month old niece is--like me--a natural-born dog lover!! It's so adorable!! Initially, Rose was curious about the baby. A new friend!! Oh boy!! Rose seemingly thought. My canine's first encounter with our niece was sniffing her tiny feet. And those bouncing, happy limbs bopped Rose's ebony nose!! Whoops!! Not that this deterred my crazy girl!! Nope!! Because, the other day I was cuddling with our sweet chubby-as-a-cherubim baby, while sitting in a comfortable red chair. And miss "Jealousy, thy name is Rose" decided to see us!! She balanced her front legs upon the chair. And was face-to-face with my niece. Nose-to-nose!! Sheer delight in her voice, my niece giggled!! It was cute!! Now didn't Rose just make her entire week!! Then, yesterday, we baby-sat my niece for a few hours!! She is crawling now, getting around quite independently. Already!! My niece crawled her way toward where Rose was sleeping. I watched closely, while sitting on our great room floor. Rose will start awake should the baby touch her!! And, of course, she grabbed my mutt's tail!! Bad idea. Never touch Rose's tail. She hates that, for reasons beyond my comprehension!! Sometimes, when I'm feeling like a pain-in-the-butt, I will gently grab it. What happens? Rose's head whips around in a rapid motion, as though she is ready to attack me!! Well. Serves me right for being a pain-in-the-butt!! So. I snatched up our niece and lifted her onto my lap. Away from Rose's tail!! My little girl seemed reluctant to meet-and-greet with the baby. At first!! So Rose walked away. But I encouraged her!! And she obeyed!! I reached my hand toward Rose's velvet-soft fur. And.... My niece instantaneously followed suit!! What a bright girl!! Then, my nearly eight-month old niece giggled with delight.

 

14 comments:

Bella Roxy & Macdui said...

We love stories about little kids learning to love animals. Hope she has a wonderful animal filled life ahead of her.

XXXOOO Daisy, Bella & Roxy

Sketching with Dogs said...

It is amazing what prayer can do sometimes.
A dog lover is a wonderful thing to become and one of the best things we dog lovers can do is to pass that skill on. You have done it with your niece and I always taught my children that animals must be loved and respected. I am sure being an animal lover makes someone a better person.
Lynne x

Anonymous said...

Aw! Thanks for clarifying the story! And hope you have a great day!

Unknown said...

Oh we love to read about your little niece and her delight in Rose. We were also pleased you never needed more surgery. You went through enough. Have a wonderful Wednesday.
Best wishes Molly

Remington said...

It is so cool when we see the same traits in others in our family....Beth and her granddaughter share the same interests....it is fun to watch!

Mary Lou said...

Daisy, Bella & Roxy....
Thank-you for the comment!!
"Hope she has a wonderful animal filled life ahead of her.". Me too!! Her Daddy is not "a dog person", I'm afraid. But she can come over just to see my Rose!! ;op

Mary Lou said...

Lynne....
Thank-you for the comment!!
"It is amazing what prayer can do sometimes.". Amen!! ;)
"I am sure being an animal lover makes someone a better person.". I concur!! ;op

Mary Lou said...

finnhoward....
Thank-you for the comment!!
Your welcome!! I sensed that there was a bit of confusion regarding whether or not I still suffer from craniosynostosis!! Hee, hee, hee.... ;op

Mary Lou said...

Molly....
Thank-you for the comment!!
I concur. I did undergo enough scull surgery!! Although. I recently read about this "crainio" boy--BOY!!--who suffered through eight scull operations!! Eight!! He is now twelve years old. ;op

Mary Lou said...

Remington....
Thank-you for the comment!!
"It is so cool when we see the same traits in others in our family....Beth and her granddaughter share the same interests....it is fun to watch!". I concur!! ;op

Suka said...

hi Raelyn,

I have always believed that things happen for a reason and reading how your family became Christians because of your craniosynostosis I find that very touching, and a beautiful outcome. And your story of being healed by prayer gave me shivers! I love stories like that, and I have always believed in miracles. :->

What a sweet story of your niece and Rose. I am glad you are teaching Rose how to be around infants and toddlers. And teaching your niece how to respect dogs. It must be fun for Rose to be around a tiny human. :->

K and Suka

Mary Lou said...

K and Suka....
Thank-you for the comment!!
"I have always believed that things happen for a reason and reading how your family became Christians because of your craniosynostosis I find that very touching, and a beautiful outcome.". Agreed!! Everything does happen for a reason. ;)
"Your story of being healed by prayer gave me shivers! I love stories like that, and I have always believed in miracles.". Well. It is a true story!! I did not fabricate one single word!! ;-D
I don't actually have to teach Rose about babies!! She always loved them!! I think that they must have had children in Rose's former life somewhere.... She's a natural!! ;op

Smile With Your Tail said...

This is such a heart warming story :)

Slobbers

Mary Lou said...

Smile With Your Tail....
Thanks for the comment!!
I am glad that you enjoyed this story!! ;op