Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Peanut Butter Jack-o-lanterns


Word of advice: Never bake your canine dog treats on a nearly empty stomach!! You will regret doing so!! Plus you'll nibble on unbaked greasy peanut butter-flavored dough along the way!! There!! Now that I got that out of my system!! Moving on.... I baked Rose a batch of treats yesterday afternoon. They're delicious.... They taste like sugarless peanut butter cookies!! Yummy!! I used twain different sized pumpkin-shaped cookie cutters. I even took a knife to them and "carved" cute faces!! So!! They were jack-o-lanterns!! It was a recipe that I found on Stacey's Web site, http://thetaleoftwomaddogs.blogspot.com/ , several months ago. Yep. I am just now getting around to trying it!!  

Rose would rate this recipe four 'paws' way, way up!!

Peanut Butter Doggie Bones

2 cups whole-wheat flour

1 Tablespoon baking powder

1 cup natural peanut butter (I used whatever was sitting around our pantry. Which is not natural!!)

1 cup low-fat milk (We were out of 2% low-fat milk. So, again, I used what was available!! Which happened to be organic low-fat milk!!)


Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a bowl, combine flour and baking powder. In another bowl, mix peanut butter and milk. Add wet mixture to dry, and mix well.

Turn out dough on a lightly floured surface and knead. (My dough was a bit crumbly, easily breaking into pieces. How annoying is that? I continuously added water, plus rolled it into my hand like Play-Doh, but nothing helped!! Oh well!!) Roll out to 1/4-inch thickness and cut out with shapes. (I made my jack-o-lanterns fat!!) Place on a greased baking sheet (I was not following directions very well, and neglected to even notice this. Oh well!! I did not need to grease the pan!!) and bake for 20 minutes or until lightly brown. (With 10 jack-o-lanterns on my pan, I baked them for 25 minutes. They are not crunchy. More like cookies than biscuits!!) Cool on a rack and store in an airtight container. (I are freezing about half of them, to avoid molding!!) I baked 12 treats!!

Rose, my food-lovin' Beagle cross, could smell peanut butter's aroma wafting through our kitchen!! So. She seldom ever left my sight!! Once or twice Rose played by herself, squeaking a plush toy. Plus she did stare longingly out our great room sliding glass door. Rose was underfoot for a while, happily anticipating her treats. Happily anticipating. Then, she collapsed onto our dining room laminate flooring. Observing. Sniffing the air. And waiting!!               

Happy Halloween, Blogging Friends!!  

18 comments:

Finn said...

Oh man, I can eat peanut butter all day long, so I would have a serious problem making these and showing restraint! Have a wonderful Halloween!

Unknown said...

A big warm happy Halloween to you all and we wish you a scaringly good day. Have fun trick ir treating.
Best wishes Molly

Elaine Pritchard said...

They sound gorgeous. I am sure I can SMELL them from here.

Love and licks, Winnie

Alison said...

I probably should have eaten lunch before reading this. Now I'm craving peanut butter cookies LOL.

Mary Lou said...

Finn....
Thanks for the comment!!
How are you? Staying safe and dry from "Frankenstorm"? I know that the newscasters are not calling Sandy "Frankenstorm" anymore. But what can I say? I like the sound of "Frankenstorm"!! ;)
Have a wonderful Halloween, yourself!! ;op

Mary Lou said...

Molly....
Thanks for the comment!!
"A big warm, happy Halloween to you all and we wish you a scaringly good day." Right back at ya!! ;op

Mary Lou said...

Winnie....
Thanks for the comment!!
Yeah, and you possess a powerful hound nose.... Like my Rose!! I imagine that your nostrils really could smell the peanut butter!! Hee, hee, hee.... ;op

Mary Lou said...

Alison....
Thank-you for the comment!!
"I probably should have eaten lunch before reading this. Now I'm craving peanut butter cookies.". That comment cracked me up!! ;op

Bella Roxy & Macdui said...

They sound scrumptious! We'll have to get HER baking again...

XXXOOO Daisy, Bella & Roxy

M said...

ha, ha, ha! did the same Rose- then had to try every batch that came out of the oven... now i couldn't put another bite in my mouth if i had to... oooooh get the selzer. ha~ great recipe!
M

Mary Lou said...

Daisy, Bella & Roxy....
Thank-you for the comment!!
They are scrumptious!! Trust me on that one!! Oh yeah. Rose concurs!! Hee, hee, hee.... ;op

Mary Lou said...

M....
Thank-you for the comment!!
Wanna share a little secret with me? These treats are so yummy that I stole one last night!! Ssshh!! Do not tell!! Rose doesn't even know!! ;op

Sketching with Dogs said...

That looks like a great recipe, thankyou Raelyn. I am going to try it on our little monsters - I'm sure they will love it!
Happy Halloween my friend.
Lynne x

Mary Lou said...

Lynne....
Thank-you for the comment!!
Happy baking!! Your "little monsters" are sure to love these treats!! ;op

Unknown said...

That sounds so yummy!!!

Mary Lou said...

Priscilla....
Thank-you for the comment!!
Oh they are.... Whenever Rose gets one, I take a nibble!! I am so weird!! ;op

Ryker said...

Oh Yummy! Rose, you are one lucky dogger!

Mary Lou said...

RYKER....
Thank-you for the comment!!
"Lucky"? "Spoiled rotten" is more like it!! Hee, hee, hee.... ;op