Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Multitasking

Blogging Friends.... I would like to clarify something about the other day's post. I wrote this. Then, in my teenage years, I developed a "thing" for Harrison Ford. Well, he hardly counted, anyway. I was really in love with Han Solo!! Wrong. Days after clicking "publish", I flashed back to my teenage self. Scary.... Anyway, I then remembered that I also had "thing" for Indiana Jones. Especially in the last film!! Swoon!! So yeah. Harrison Ford does, in fact, count as one of my "old guy" Hollywood celebrity crushes!! And you gotta love Han Solo!! As I promised, here is a story about Rose!! Love you later.

Multitasking. They say that this comes naturally to women and girls. Well. They have evidentially never met me. Because frankly? Multitasking can overwhelm and stress me out!! Why? I haven't a clue!! Perhaps this is because I am learning disabled. Therefore, I do everything at my own slow pace. Or maybe. Just maybe. My attention deficit disorder and fierce sense of focus on one task interferes. Either way, I am no "Supermom". And I have never found multitasking as one of my strengths. Never. Last Thursday, during partly sunny weather, I was taking my two-year old niece, "Amethyst", for a ride in her red hard plastic Radio Flyer wagon around our suburban cul-de-sac. I snapped the black belt around "Amethyst's" chubby tummy. Then I noticed that Rose felt left out and wanted to come with on our "adventure". Okay!! I happily linked the red leash to Rose's collar. Then, outside we stepped!! My youngest brother--Uncle Michael to Rose but just Michael to "Amethyst"--pulled the wagon while I walked Rose. At first. After one or two times around the cul-de-sac, Michael got bored and stepped back inside."Amethyst", ever observant, saw Michael leaving. I asked her if she would like to go back inside also. No. So around and around and around the cul-de-sac I walked. I was on my own this time. My left arm held the hard ebony plastic wagon handle. We heard a flock of Canada geese honk, honk, honking away. I picked some "lellow" dandelions for "Amethyst" to hold in her chubby little hands. We saw a tiny bushtit, and I taught "Amethyst" that word. She can say it now. From clear down the cul-de-sac, we could hear our next door neighbor's black and white Border Collie/St. Bernard mix, Zeke, bark loudly. "Amethyst" loves that crazy canine!! As my right hand held Rose's leash, I felt an odd sense of gratitude that I was born with two complete arms. Eventually, Rose decided that, like Michael, she, too, was bored of our same-old-same-old walk around the cul-de-sac. So my iron willed little girl tensed up every muscle within her shoulders and stopped walking. On several occasions!! But my long skinny right arm kept pulling Rose along!! At one point I even said this aloud. "To quote Tony Stark from 'Iron Man 3'. 'Stop stopping!' ". We must have looked like a sight to behold, for it felt as though I was being torn in twain opposite directions toward the end of our walk, pulling a red wagon and my canine....

I was doing it. I was multitasking!!     

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh bless Rose so wanted none of going round and round the cup-de-sac LOL. Have a terrific Tuesday.
Best wishes Molly

Sketching with Dogs said...

What a great story and walk for you all. It is not easy to do lots of different things at once - especially where a toddler and dog are concerned so Kudos to you for doing it so well.
Lynne x

Mary Lou said...

Molly....
Thank-you for the comment, Friend!!
"Cup-de-sac"!! You called it a "cup" -de-sac!! Crack. Me. Up!! ;op

Mary Lou said...

Lynne....
Thank-you for the comment, Friend!!
"What a great story and walk for you all. It is not easy to do lots of different things at once - especially where a toddler and dog are concerned so Kudos to you for doing it so well.". Thanks!! It was not that hard.... ;op

Fizz said...

He he, I want to pull the cart myself, both me & the goblin will one day have a cart to pull together.
We love Han Solo too, Star Wars is one of our favorite films, we got to watch the latest Indiana Jones movie recently, we thought it was very good.

Mary Lou said...

Fizz....
Thank-you for the comment, Friend!!
"We love Han Solo too, Star Wars is one of our favorite films, we got to watch the latest Indiana Jones movie recently, we thought it was very good.". Yeah. Han Solo was a schmuck in transition, as Robert Downey Jr. would describe him. What's not to love?! ;op

Ryker said...

What a grand walk...multi-tasking can be fun!

Mary Lou said...

Ryker....
Thank-you for the comment, Friend!!
"What a grand walk...multi-tasking can be fun!". And work!! Hee, hee, hee.... ;op

Tweedles -- that's me said...

Multi tasking can be a little challenging sometimes!
love
tweedles

Mary Lou said...

Tweedles....
Thank-you for the comment, Friend!!
"Multi tasking can be a little challenging sometimes!". I can't but agree!! ;op