Friday, August 30, 2013

I Chose Gratitude

Blogging Friends.... Thank-you from the depths of my heart and soul for every comment on "Minuscule is good!". One word. Wow!! You, my dear Friends are wonderful!! I have definitely felt the love!! Expect a new post on "Minuscule is good!"--Lord willing!!--come Monday!! Oh, and a little heads-up. I plan to moderate its comments box soon.
 
I am writing this with a cold. I have been battling it all week. Ugh. Oh, and I hardly slept a wink last night due to one nasty asthma attack which rudely awoke me around 12AM. I inhaled some albuterol, then finally gave up at three after it relapsed, and realized that there was no way I was ever going back to sleep, I wrote most of this post!! Ah, Heaven!! If it is foggy {Like my head!!} I sincerely apologize!!
 
"You fail only if you stop writing." --Ray Bradbury
 
Give in to self-pity? Or feel gratitude? My crazy head was having a difficult time deciding which equally palpable emotion to experience, as I could sense yet another title wave of mood swing-infused pity parties on the horizon. Not surprising. Here they come again!! Give in to self-pity? Let it overtake my emotions like some violent military attack? I have valid reasons to do so. Yet another shattered, unobtainable dream for starters. Once again feeling like a failure. Someone who I am in close proximity to will soon attend college classes in pursuit of an amazingly big ambition. Once again making me feel like a failure. Or. Should I feel gratitude? For the many blessings which God has bestowed upon me? Such as my gift of writing. The other day, I discovered this quote by Ray Bradbury. "You fail only if you stop writing.". I like that!! Because. For no matter what season of life I walked, or how many different obsessions my mind acquired, I'd always be writing!! "Star Wars"? I wrote fictional stories--which I've long-ago mislocated--about Darth Vader, his Storm Troopers, Han Solo, and me. Acting? I would--as a teenager--play with Barbie dolls, meanwhile writing in my head their characters and stories. Tom Hanks? I wrote a fictional story about the actor--again which has been mislocated--about me sharing my Faith with him over McDonald's french fries. Former major league baseball pitcher Curt Schilling? I wrote about his final career milestones and World Series starts like some newspaper journalist. I still have those!! For no matter how many different obsessions my mind acquired, I'd always be writing!! Always. "You fail only if you stop writing.". Mmmm.... By the way? This here post was an accurate account--if memory serves me--of what I have been struggling with, but best of all, learning through lately. Give in to self-pity? Or feel gratitude? It is a choice. Which did I choose? I chose gratitude!! You know what? When I stop throwing myself pity parties regarding being different, amazing things always occur. Amazing things. I realize that my very life existence is a terrible privilege, yet minuscule. I reach out to Moms {Plus one Dad!!} who have had children either born with craniosynostosis or congenital diaphragmatic hernia. I start a Blog which will feature monthly Writing Projects. When I stop throwing myself pity parties regarding being different, amazing things always occur. Amazing things....              
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

12 comments:

Ziggy Stardust said...

I am sorry that you are sick. I hope you are snuggling right now with some chicken soup and watching an old movie. Get well!! Don't ever give up on your writing. I always remember a line from a movie with Billy Chrystal called "Throw Mama from the Train". He was a writing teacher and he would always tell his class "A writer writes, always!" Keep writing and never give up


Anne and Sasha

Mary Lou said...

Anne and Sasha....
Thank-you for the comment, Friend!!
I am not exactly "snuggling", as my asthma medication albuterol makes me a bit wired. I must do something productive. Anything. Like writing!! Or drowning a creepy-crawly bathtub spider. Eeeew!! However, I did watch some RDJ YouTube videos today!! Every time he cracked me up, I had an asthma attack, though!! RDJ was trying to kill me!! Just kidding!! And that chicken noodle soup? I may have some for lunch tomorrow!! ;)
"Don't ever give up on your writing. I always remember a line from a movie with Billy Chrystal called 'Throw Mama from the Train'. He was a writing teacher and he would always tell his class 'A writer writes, always!' Keep writing and never give up.". "A writer writes, always!". I like that!! ;op

Unknown said...

We hope you are better soon. Sending healing vibes. Keep writing and don't give up. Have a super Saturday.
Best wishes Molly

Mary Lou said...

Molly....
Thank-you for the comment, Friend!!
"We hope you are better soon. Sending healing vibes.". Thanks!! Your vibes must be working, because I slept last night!! Score!! ;op

Soggibottom said...

We hope you feel better soon too. BUT, if you really want help getting up in the morning, we would recommend our digging crew around the cottage. :-) Hope you have a good day and feel better :-) x x x

Mary Lou said...

Thank-you for the comment, Friend!!
"If you really want help getting up in the morning, we would recommend our digging crew around the cottage.". No thanks!! I am not having trouble awakening!! And I slept last night!! ;op

Sketching with Dogs said...

Hope your cold is better soon Raelyn, those Summer colds can be worse than the Winter ones.
Never give up on your writing even if it is just one sentence every day. I have often stopped drawing for months or sometimes years at a time and always regretted it when I start again and realise how much I enjoy it.
Lynne x

Mary Lou said...

Lynne....
Thank-you for the comment, Friend!!
"Hope your cold is better soon Raelyn, those Summer colds can be worse than the Winter ones.". Thanks.... I feel on the mend now, as my body is finally rejecting the crap which had taken up residence. Usually once this occurs, I recover!! Aren't our bodies amazing?! ;op

Ryker said...

I hope you are feeling better very soon. I agree about summer colds. You make good choices, always chose the positive route.
Breast Cancer Awareness Month is October :)
World Cancer Day (February 4)

Mary Lou said...

RYKER....
Thank-you for the comment, Friend!!
Yeah. Right now, I feel like crap, with a headache which will not go away. But, this too shall pass!! ;)
Breast Cancer Awareness Month is October. Thanks, I needed that bit of information!! ;op

Ruby said...

Yes, gratitude is always the right choice. Things could always be so much worse, so it is good to be thankful for what we can. Glad you made the right choice and are reaping the benefits!

Mary Lou said...

Ruby....
Thank-you for the comment, Friend!!
"Yes, gratitude is always the right choice. Things could always be so much worse, so it is good to be thankful for what we can. Glad you made the right choice and are reaping the benefits!". Things could always be so much worse. True!! ;op