Monday, August 12, 2013

Statistics, Statistics, Statistics


{Taken from my Life Story}

 One out of every 2,000 live births are affected by craniosynostosis. Yes, one out of every 2,000 live births. This neurological birth defect mostly affects male babies. I was one of them. A baby girl born with craniosynostosis. One out of every 2,500 live births are affected by congenital diaphragmatic hernias. Yes, one out of every 2,500 live births. Approximately 1,600 babies are born each year with C.D.H.. Yes, 1,600 babies. Only 10% of cases occur on the right side. Yes, 10%. And. Only approximately 50% of babies who are inflicted with C.D.H. live. Yes, 50%. I was one of them. A right-sided (At least that's where my abdomen scar is located!!) C.D.H. survivor. One to three in 1,000 people worldwide are affected by Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome. Yes, one to three in 1,000 people worldwide. You know what? As a self-described "journalist at heart", I love, love, love statistics!! Yes, I am literally fascinated by them!! How befitting that I would fall among such insane statistics.

Tuesday, August 6th, 2013. What an eventful date that turned out to be for me!! My sutures were removed.... By Mom!! She has taken out stitches before!! It actually stung a bit as she gingerly pulled them through!! Me, the "Cranio" person with a freakishly hard skull felt it!! Weird. But, then again. It was actually a positive that those sutures being pulled out stung. How so? Because the thread just had to match my hair color!! {Mom accidentally pulled out a strand!! Whoops.} The strangest part about Mom removing my sutures? I never bled!! See, twain concepts are always liable to occur with me. I scar. And I bleed. Anyway. Something else eventful occurred on Tuesday, August 6th. I received my test results!! It isn't at all what anybody had in mind. Not surprising!! It is a rare form of acne which only effects the scalp. I do not know its statistics, although I'd love, love, love to learn them. Because, apparently, the dermatologists don't see this form of acne very often!! Hence my beginning today's Blog post with craniosynostosis, C.D.H, and W.P.W.'s statistics!! I have a rare form of acne. Rare. Story of my life!! Now, this "one step forward, two steps back" flawed personality type who suffers from premature short-term memory loss has been prescribed some pill to swallow twice daily. I work against that character defect. Being a "one step forward, two steps back" flawed personality type. However. I keep waiting for the one time when my stupid mind forgets to take a pill!! {Which almost occurred last night!!} Yes, I am just waiting to mess up. Oh, and I cannot eat any dairy near the timeline when I swallow my medication. I have German flowing proudly within my blood!! Do you have any idea how much dairy I ingest? Cheese. Yogurt. Cheese. Butter. Cheese. Eggs. Cheese. Milk on cereal. Cheese. Ice cream. Cheese. Chocolate milk. Cheese. Milk chocolate. Did I mention cheese?! I have become one of those annoying {No offense!!} people with "food issues"!! Really?! Wasn't I a pain in the ass enough, already?! {Proud of it, babe!!} Well. Apparently not!! But. It could always be worse, I suppose. I am not suddenly lactose intolerant. I can still consume dairy. Just not until about an hour or so after swallowing a pill. And right now, every chance I get, something dairy is voluntarily being shoveled into my mouth.... It is my latest addiction!! Take that, acne!!
 
On an unrelated note. Remember Mikey, my little Kindred Spirit "Cranio" Buddy? Well, I have been granted a unique opportunity to correspond via e-mail exchange with his Mom!! Pretty neat, huh? After much consideration, {Because I never make rash decisions.} I sent her a letter yesterday!! Wow. In an effort to keep Rose on Beautifully Unique, please my Blogville Friends who like photos, and show this new "e-mail-pal" what I look like. A picture!!
 
    

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh no...no cheese etc near pill taking time. Well at least it is not no dairy period. So glad you are corresponding with Mikeys' mum. Have a marvellous Monday.
Best wishes Molly

Mary Lou said...

Molly....
Thank-you for the comment, Friend!!
"Oh no...no cheese etc near pill taking time. Well, at least it is not no dairy period.". I can't but agree!! ;op

Soggibottom said...

What would we all do wiv out cheese !
Would have to eat crackers with no cheese that's what and that's no fun. Luvs Freya Rose Blossom X

Mary Lou said...

Freya Rose Blossom....
Thank-you for the comment, Friend!!
"What would we all do wiv out cheese! Would have to eat crackers with no cheese that's what and that's no fun.". I can't but agree!! ;op

Ruby said...

Yikes! You and your mom are so brave! Sorry to hear it was such a rare and long-lasting diagnosis. Don't stress about the pills: you might want to ask your doctor what happens if you happen to forget taking one. Knowing what to do might help you relax and not get too worried!

Mary Lou said...

Ruby....
Thank-you for the comment, Friend!!
Yeah. If I do not take a pill, I'm afraid my hair will fall out!! We do not want that!! As far as remembering, so far, so good.... ;op