Thursday, October 3, 2013

Adopt A Dog Month


Blogging Friends.... Hi. This is a shiftless repost from last year!! {With some changes, of course!!} But worth it!! My laziness is finally paying off!!
 
Not really!! I guess I haven't been that shiftless. I just finished--after three days working on it!!--writing a story for my other Blog, "Minuscule is good!". So!! Check it out today!!
   
October. I love, love, love this month!! Trees' leaves gradually transform into bright, cheery hues. Pumpkin patches reopen. The mornings become crisp, our days get shorter. Constant rainfall is inevitable, as we go about life silently awaiting its downpour. Mmmm.... Well, October also happens to be Adopt A Dog Month!! That's right. Adopt A Dog Month!! Rose is--thus far!!--the first canine that I rescued from our local shelter. Allow me to express something. I hope that every canine who enters my existence from here on is adopted!! Because. Doing so has profoundly changed my life!! I hope to either adopt from some shelter, or a rescue organization. See. Adopting Rose, our then-three-year old "second chance" mutt, has been, personally, one of my life's most rewarding experiences!! How so? Because I provided a loving home for this Beautifully Unique four-legged creature!! She was once kenneled in our local shelter like some convicted criminal. Homeless and desolate. Now, she is mine!! I am so very, very, very blessed to own Rose!! I'm also feeling inspired now. With this being Adopt A Dog Month, I want every future canine who enters my existence to be rescued throughout October!! Why not? There are seemingly endless canines available for adoption year-round. Plus 31 days in October!! 31 freakin' days!! This may sound like some oddball, far-out notion. But to me? It's really quite logical!!
 
This is taken from a HealthyPets e-mail. I received it in 2011, but the information should still be up-to-date!!
 
--Adopt A Dog Month--
 
If you feel like there's a void in your life, you can make a difference in two lives as October is Adopt A Dog Month. The ASPCA started Adopt A Dog Month to promote and raise awareness of the millions of dogs that live in shelters, places not fit to be called a home. Shelter dogs don't nearly have the amount of space or the amount of love they deserve. Also keep in mind that thousands of pets that do not get adopted are euthanized due to lack of shelter space. You can do your part in many ways; here are a few helpful ideas to get the gears going.
 
Adoption: The best way to help a shelter dog is to bring one into the comfort of your home. Visit local shelters and share that love connection that will keep you and your new pooch's relationship going on for years. For those who absolutely prefer purebred varieties, an estimated 25% of purebreds are found in shelters. {And, where does that leave mutts? In the 75 percentile!! So, do not exclude mixed breeds from this!! Adopt a mutt!!) Some shelters offer discounts or waive adoption fees. Contact local shelters to find out what they offer.
 
Donations: Not everyone has the time or money to invest in a new pet - you can still do your part by donating supplies, money or your time. Local animal shelters depend on the kindness of strangers' help aside from what little government funds they receive to keep the shelter going. You can do your part by volunteering to help walk dogs, clean cages or whatever tasks that may be needed.
 
Events: Attending and volunteering in pet-related events is a fun way to participate in pet awareness. Attending shelter fundraisers and pet fairs are ways to help people understand how important pet adoptions can be. Even if you are unable to adopt a pet, you can help bring awareness to those who can devote their time to a new family member.
 
Other Ways: Information is key to preventing the growth of pets being admitted into animal shelters. Pet behavior trouble is one of biggest reasons why owners turn dogs into shelters. You can do your part by informing new pet owners what struggles they may face in the early stages of owning a pet.
 

10 comments:

Ryker said...

Thank you for a great post! I love helping dogs get adopted!

Soggibottom said...

Dogs in shelters need a second chance... Great post :-) x x x

Unknown said...

We are both adopted so hooray for adopt a pet month. Will pop over and have a read on your new blog in a mo.
Have a tremendous Thursday.
Best wishes Molly

Mary Lou said...

RYKER....
Thank-you for the comment, Friend!!
Your welcome!! It was my pleasure!! I love helping dogs get adopted, as well!! ;)



Mary Lou said...

Freya Rose Blossom....
Thank-you for the comment, Friend!!
"Dogs in shelters need a second chance". I can't but agree!! ;op

Mary Lou said...

Molly....
Thank-you for the comment, Friend!!
Whoops!! I guess this is what occurs when you are working twain Blogs at once!! Curse my premature short-term memory loss!! You know I did not mean to forget about your comment!! ;op

M said...

hi there my friend, saw your comment on Jesse's site. haven't really gone away, just waiting until another pooch enters my life, it's almost been a year, can you believe it? They say that dogs enter your life when you most need them, one will show up soon I am sure. however, I do have another site that you might enjoy too. It's called "Journey- while walking through reality" and has a lot of stuff- www.kyncora.blogspot.com - although, as I said I will be popping in to all your sites to see how you are doing. hugs to Rose and you, margeaux

Mary Lou said...

M....
Thank-you for the comment, Friend!!
I know, I know. You have not really disappeared off the face Blogville!! You'll return!! I just wanted to check in on you!! ;)
Has it really.... Almost a year? Wow. I still miss JessseJ, by the way!!
I just put your other Blog in my Favorites, and I'll check it out!! ;op


Sketching with Dogs said...

There are so many dogs in need of a good home. I hope they all find one someday.
Lynne x

Mary Lou said...

Lynne....
Thank-you for the comment, Friend!!
"There are so many dogs in need of a good home. I hope they all find one someday.". I can't but agree!! ;op