Friday, May 30, 2014

Not My Dream, But His?

Blogging Friends.... I am halfway finished reading "Kisses From Katie" by Katie Davis, an incredible true story about this young woman who flew to Uganda, became captivated by this impoverished place, then swiftly adopted thirteen--or more!!--motherless girls!! I am loving it!! I'm underlining parts like the crazy person that I am, and taking notes!! However. I could not even get past Katie Davis' introduction before reading this!!
For as long as I can remember, one of my favorite Bible verses has been Psalm 37:4: "Delight yourself in the LORD and He will give you the desires of your heart." I used to believe it meant that if I did what the Lord asked of me, followed His commandments, and was a "good girl", He would grant all my desires and make my dreams come true. Today, this is still one of my favorite passages of Scripture, but I have learned to interpret it in a totally different way. It is not about God making my dreams come true but about God changing my dreams into His dreams for my life.
Wow. Just wow. About my lifelong dream of being an author and seeing every single fictional book I write sold at stores such as Barnes & Noble? Perhaps. Perhaps writing fictional books and "publishing" them on Minuscule is good!--meanwhile hopefully touching Readers' lives--is not my dream, but His? Hmmm....

Today, this is still one of my favorite passages of Scripture, but I have learned to interpret it in a totally different way. It is not about God making my dreams come true but about God changing my dreams into His dreams for my life.
Underlined. With a bright red pen. And dog-eared.

I nearly forgot!! Curse my premature short-term memory loss!! Just curse it!! Look for my June fictional story to be posted on Minuscule is good! {Lord willing!!} on June 2nd!!




6 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad you are enjoying it as it sounds like an inspiring book. She must be an amazing person. Have a fabulous Friday.
Best wishes Molly

Sketching with Dogs said...

What a fantastic thing for Katie to do, she must have saved those girls from goodness knows what fate.
Looking forward to your story.
Lynne x

Mary Lou said...

Molly....
Thank-you for the comment, Friend!!
"Glad you are enjoying it as it sounds like an inspiring book. She must be an amazing person." Oh. She is an amazing person!! ;op

Mary Lou said...

Lynne....
Thank-you for the comment, Friend!!
"What a fantastic thing for Katie to do, she must have saved those girls from goodness knows what fate." Exactly!! Auntie Katie also loves on, serves and cares for hundreds more than her own daughters!! She is an inspiration!! ;op

Ruby said...

Yay!!! This post made my day! He loves you and only has what is good for you. It can sometimes be hard to live with unmet desires, but the more we remember who He is in and how good He is, the easier it is to be at peace with what is going on in our lives. He has met our biggest need by forgiving our sins through Jesus. If He was willing to do that for us, we should know that He will always, always meet our needs. He doesn't take pleasure from with holding things from us. He does, however, know us well, since He created us. He knows our needs better than we know them. What we think is best, is not always best. Right now, we have exactly what we are meant to have, and exactly what we don't need. His provision is, was, and always will be perfect. Love you!!!!

Mary Lou said...

Ruby....
Thank-you for the comment, Friend!!
Wow. Just wow!! Thanks for writing this comment, Friend!! Unbeknownst to you, I have/am currently dealing with a certain self-acceptance issue--that is not related to my unobtainable lifelong dream--so I know I needed these words!! ;op