Friday, June 17, 2011

Sweet Summer Treat

Do Rose and I have a new tradition? On Shadow's death anniversary--June 15th--Uncle Michael and I baked some bone-shaped biscuits. And turned my sad, negative day into a happy, positive one!! We honored the past, celebrated the present, anticipated the future!! It is my opinion that every pet owner, who either still has a surviving animal, or recently adopted their new creature, should partake in something special on such sorrowful anniversaries!! Ideally, any activity you may have enjoyed with Carli-Ann while she was alive. Take Moses to that campground where she happily splashed in the lake waters. Drive Allegra toward a nearby beach where Luna once left behind her paw prints. Go on an adventurous road trip with Jake. The possibilities are endless.... Especially during Summer!! Alright.
Here is the recipe: (Which Rose would rate: Four 'paws' way, way, up!!)

Dig' n The Blues
'UNLEASH' YOUR DOG'S BLUES
1/2 cup blueberries
1/4 cup milk
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 1/4 cups white flour
1/4 cup oatmeal
pinch of cinnamon
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a blender, mix together blueberries, milk, oil and cinnamon. Pour into a large mixing bowl. Add flour, 1/2 cup at a time. Add oatmeal. With flour coated hands, knead dough.
(I squished it in my hands like Play-Dough!!) Roll dough on flour coated surface and then cut with cookie cutter. Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees. Makes 1 dozen. (Disappointingly, we were only able to bake 7 bones, plus 3 "starfish" with leftover dough; Therefore I set the timer gradually for 25 minutes.) Bake bones on the middle oven rack. If your dough is sticky, apply a light layer of flour to your hands, the rolling surface and rolling pin. (After a while, our dough seemed dry, so I added a few "pinches" of water!!)
Because of variations in oven temperatures, monitor the cooking time for your batch of "Doggy Bones". Bake bones until the bottoms of the biscuits become medium brown, and adjust remaining baking times accordingly. If bones do not become "bone hard", bake bones for an additional five minutes or leave them in the oven as it cools. Store "Doggy Bones" in an airtight container. For extended supply, double your batch and freeze them!

The most surprising thing about these treats should have been obvious: They are blue!! Quite pretty, actually!! While they were baking, Rose, enjoying some backyard playtime, rolled in something disgusting!! So, as resulted, she was banned to the outdoors until I finished with her biscuits!! Not that Rose minded. Hounds will be hounds, I guess!! So, of course I scrubbed the stench off of her. Lathered my mongrel until she smelled clean. Meanwhile I was relaxed and in a good mood. I giggled as my fingers massaged Rose's velvet-soft fur. Grew a bit giddy, even!! Because I could not be annoyed or frustrated at Rose!! She hadn't done anything wrong!! Dogs will be dogs.... And Rose is perfectly normal for a canine!! No. I praised her with every lukewarm hose-down. Yep. I told Rose that she is a "good girl". Repeatedly. Afterward, I gave Rose a starfish.... Which, she reacted to by holding it within her mouth and running circles around our great room table!!
I could almost feel Shadow smiling down on us from Heaven that day. Almost. For I did not experience sadness on June 15th, 2011. Just jubilation.














No comments: