Thursday, October 6, 2011

Rose's "Talking" Tail

Dogs "express" themselves in various ways. Some bark. And for creatures that are unable to verbalize words like humans, who can blame them? Some expose their tongues in a goofy "grin". That is, if canines are even capable of smiling!! Some howl. Especially hound-type breeds. Some wag their tails in an exuberant manner. Like Rose. She wags her tail for anything--food, attention, play--that is simply the way my mongrel "expresses" herself!! A few months back, there was this "Family Circus" comic strip featured in our local newspaper. Dolly and Jeffy are with their shaggy-furred dog, Sam. He is wagging his tail so enthusiastically it might fly off. Literally. Dolly says: "Sam likes to smile with his tail 'stead of his face." Yep, that's my Rose!! It was perfect, just perfect!! I cut that "Family Circus" strip out. And I put it away for memory's sake!! Seriously, how could I not? Rose's tail greets me in a spinning motion whenever she is lounging around on "our" bed. Thump, thump, thump!! it pounds against my mattress. Thump, thump, thump!! when I pass the doorway. Thump, thump, thump!! if I am in our kitchen. Thump, thump, thump!! when I'm headed to the bathroom. Thump, thump, thump!! if I am walking toward her!! Around and around, Rose's tail spins like the rotator blades of a helicopter!! This gesture never ceases to make me smile!! Works every time!! For whenever Rose greets me with her spinning tail, it is as though she's talking!! Silently. But talking!! Sort of like a small child who just caught sight of his mother. "Mommy!!" he exclaims with much delight. Rose's tail practically does that!! She catches sight of me, and it is impossible to ignore!! Thump, thump, thump!! And I began to smile!! What does Rose's tail say? I think, like the delightful boy, it declares: "Mama!!", if that is what dogs call their owners. We have even made a game of this: I walk into "our" bedroom, Rose lying upon my mattress. I say: "Where's your tail? Where's your tail? Where's your tail?". Provided that Rose is in the mood for this crazy made-up game, she participates. Thump, thump, thump!! Her tail then starts spinning and pounds my mattress!!

No comments: