Thursday, October 27, 2011

Why I Love Mutts

Warning: This post is going to repeat a fact or two that I have already written. But I cannot help myself!! I am passionate about this subject!! Vehement, really!! I prefer mixed breed canines over purebreds. Love them. And, as readers of my blog very well know, I verbally advocate mixed breed adoption!! Why? Is it because of a personal preference? Such as I simply like mongrels better than purebreds? Yes and no. My reasons for preferring mixed breed dogs run deeper than that. Far deeper. I have learning disabilities. Or "developmental delays", as we've been told. Call them what you will. I have two disabilities. 1. An undiagnosed form of Attention Deficit Disorder. 2. Short-term memory loss. Thus, mongrels speak to me somehow!! They are different, like myself. Unique. One-of-a-kind. Unusual. Rare. Own a mixed breed canine and he/she will be absolutely impossible to reproduce!! Is that so bad? I do not think so!! Purebreds are ordinary. Normal. Everyday. What's so special about them? Their temperament? Is that it? Yet, based on my observation alone, so many people and families adopt purebreds!! But why? Mixed breed dogs are needlessly euthanized in over-crowded kill-shelters everyday!! Still. All in part because everyone wants purebreds!! When I adopted Rose on September 21st, 2010, I contributed toward ending this hidden tragedy. Financially. And actively. Whether or not the shelter where I fell in love with Rose's beautifully unique face even has a kill-policy!! Besides, I am a Scottish/German-Russian/"Irish" (At heart, anyway!!) American. I'm mixed, too!! What would someone such as myself possibly do with a purebred? Other than love her, of course? Alright. I have a confession to make. Honestly. Prior to adopting Rose, I considered getting a purebred. I wanted something different from my recently passed "blond"-furred German Shepherd/Golden Retriever cross, Shadow. Why not a purebred? I thought about Chocolate Labrador Retrievers. We researched miniature Australian Shepherds. Crazy. Now every time I stroke Rose's velvet-soft fur, or just enjoy being her Mama, I'm grateful that I reconsidered. It was a wise choice!! And guess what? She is nothing like Shadow. At all. They could not be more different from each other. Rose's floppy ears, coat markings, size, temperament.... I love how that turned out!! No mistake. Yes, I know. I am quite hoity-toity about mongrels. I admit to that. But what can I say? Mixed breeds are the best!!

























No comments: