Friday, December 23, 2011

Honey "Christmas" Treats

The other day, I baked Rose some dog biscuits. For her Christmas stocking. It was the final thing on my holiday to-do list. Other than "bagging" up everyone's presents, which, traditionally, I always partake in on Christmas Eve!! Helps pass the time.... Now Rose will receive two gifts of treats, three plush toys, plus these crunchy biscuits!! Wow. Her fuzzy red stocking will be bulging.... The cookbook where I found this recipe also, of course, contains something specifically meant for Christmas. It is entitled "Santa Paws". Nonetheless, we were lacking in two things for that recipe: An ingredient.... And money. But then, an idea surfaced within my mind: Bake Rose something sweet!! Every December 25th, we all receive sugar-laden junk food--chocolate--which she cannot even have!! Why leave poor Rose out on some of the fun? Plus, I purchased some adorable holiday cookie cutter shapes: Candy cane, gingerbread man, Christmas tree, snowman, gingerbread woman, and stocking!! So I made these treats into Christmas biscuits!! Here is the recipe:

Cinnabone
(These biscuits taste like honey.... I think they wrongly named this recipe!!)
THE PERFECT BONE (Or holiday shapes!!) FOR THE DOG WITH A SWEET TOOTH!
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons molasses
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup wheat germ
1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
(We substituted wheat flour with white flour, because I heard that too much wheat can effect a dog's digestive system?)
1/2 cup brewer's yeast
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl mix together honey, molasses, oil, milk and cinnamon. Gradually add flour, yeast, and wheat germ.
(I never follow the "gradually" rule when baking.... Oh well!! Everything stirs together alright anyway!!) Roll dough to a 1/4 inch thickness and cut into bone (Or Christmas!!) shapes. Bake at 350 degrees on an ungreased cookie sheet for 20 minutes (We did 15 minutes, but not all ovens were created equal!!) or until bottoms are brown. Makes 1 1/2 dozen. (We made 14--two of each shape, plus a couple extra candy canes!! And.... A round "cookie" that I used with the leftover dough!!)
Bake bones on the middle oven rack. If your dough is sticky, apply a light layer of flour to your hands, the rolling surface and rolling pin. Because of variations in oven temperatures, monitor the cooking time for your batch of "Doggy Bones". Bake bones until the bottoms of the biscuits become medium brown, and adjust remaining baking times accordingly. If bones do not become "bone hard", bake bones for an additional five minutes or leave them in the oven as it cools. Store "Doggy Bones" in an airtight container. For extended supply, double your batch and freeze them!

As I began searching for the ingredients we would need--alongside Uncle Michael--Rose ran through our great room, a toy within her mouth. She wanted playtime!! "Not now, Rose...." I said. This happens nearly every time. I am doing something with Uncle Michael, my brother, and little miss "Jealousy, thy name is Rose" desires all the attention!! It's cute.... In such cases, we always smile, and let her win!! But not this time. We had treats to mix up and bake. Rose's biscuits!! So my "neglected" girl had to play by herself.... She rolls on the toys whenever I cannot interact!! Rose does have Attention Deficit Disorder, however!! While I stirred our ingredients together she appeared into the kitchen, curious. So I allowed Rose a tiny taste of her treats' dough. My Beagle mix loved it!! Keeping these biscuits put away until Christmas morning was difficult. At first!! The second I pulled them out of our oven, Rose looked up at me with those pleading eyes of hers that I know so well. She wanted a sample!! How can you say no to that? It turned out that one of our gingerbread men broke his right leg, so I gave her him. By the way? Rose rates this recipe Four 'paws' way, way up!!

Merry Christmas, Readers!!




No comments: