Monday, January 24, 2011

Earliest Memory

In my experience, most characteristics of canines reveal themselves immediately, whether they show off certain behavioral issues or bring about sweet, heartwarming stories. These amazing creatures seldom wait to be sincere!! Sometimes, even one insignificant act can serve as a revelation of the future. That afternoon when we adopted Rose, their shelter volunteer accepted our dog collar, unlocked her kennel, and, with great expertise, snapped it around my mongrel's neck.... But, she was oblivious to the fact that I had not attached Rose's leash!! Oops. Once their shelter worker set this Beagle mix free, she fled!! Next thing we all knew, Rose ran with "Jacoby Ellsbury" velocity, circling the facility, resembling a racing Greyhound.... As if thinking: I'm breaking out of here!! Leaving this poor, bewildered volunteer chasing after my little fugitive, helplessly crying: "Rose!! Come back, Rose!!". Around and around their secure shelter the two circled.... Meanwhile, I am laughing, albeit nervously. What have we just agreed to? I would quickly learn that this was merely a sample of our promising future together. Whenever Rose shows Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder "symptoms", which appear rare, she will "race" around our great room table!! Should we unfasten my mongrel's collar she'll take great pleasure in her liberation, and excitably run from me!! Sometimes, if Rose bays uncontrollably, always when I step foot through the white magnetic front door, we head outside to our backyard.... And she literally flies!! The hurried shelter worker did, obviously catch Rose, but I should have seen this characteristic coming....

1 comment:

Ruby said...

Just part of who she is! Some people, and animals too, need to run! Our little girl was watching a movie the other day and pressed pause to take a running brake! She just ran from one end of the room to the other about six or seven times, and then resumed the movie! She and Rose might have fun together!