Monday, December 27, 2010

Rose's "First" Christmas

First experiences are eternally special. They mark milestone happenings, momentous occasions which will most likely never, ever repeat themselves. From an anticipation-filled day when you exchange vows with your soul mate, to those joys and adjustments required with adopting a new dog, whatever the season, in life there arrives bounties of such moments. For me, Christmas morning 2010 was an eternally special, milestone occasion. Rose experienced her "first" December 25th. Well.... First as my canine, anyway!! I always purchase our animals gifts to present in bulging, velvet stockings. So I bought two different brands of dog treats--one was pizza flavored, the other was peanut butter and apple flavored--a purple colored pull rope toy, this adorable green frog that squeaks who I named Kermit, plus another home-made knotted sock. I had long ago finished Rose's presents, hiding them in my second dresser drawer, thus her "Beagle nose" ruined any surprises regarding treats every time I slid it open for a t-shirt!! Come Christmas morning, when I entered our great room, my hands clutching her red and white stocking, the secret was revealed!! Rose became excitable, attempting to sniff its foot where her nostrils screened pizza, peanut butter and apple. I unveiled Kermit--she loved "him"--as though a new friendship had just been formed!! Next, I pulled out the sturdy rope. Which she couldn't have cared less for.... It is not competing with Kermit!! Finally, I tore open her pizza flavored treats. She seemed beside herself with bliss, but remembered to "sit pretty" before trying one!! "Good girl!" Then I fed her the peanut butter and apple flavored twisted treats. Mmmm.... Yummy!! She literally snubbed my hand-made knotted sock....


Merry Christmas, Rose!! Thank-you for this amazing first experience.


2 comments:

StevietheGreat05 said...

When did you get Rose? My dog, Bear, looks EXACTLY like her. And by exactly, I mean -- EXACTLY. Right down to the spotting on the legs!!!

Mary Lou said...

Stevie....
Thank-you for the comment!!
"When did you get Rose? My dog, Bear, looks EXACTLY like her. And by exactly, I mean -- EXACTLY. Right down to the spotting on the legs!!!" I adopted Rose on September 21st, 2010!! ;op