Friday, December 10, 2010

Service Dogs

Sometimes a canine can be far more vigilant than Lassie, and provides his master with loyalty which is 100 percent greater than that of Old Yeller's. There are police dogs, disability service dogs, search-and-rescue dogs, even canines that people train as Autism Service Dogs for children who face daily this oft-common learning disability. Whenever the "canine's" boy or girl acts up, these swift dogs instantly throw themselves atop him/her which results in a calming effect on "their" child. Rose has, what I believe every bit of potential to work alongside such children, sans training!! Because each time I make any sound, a cough, a shout, a sneeze, a scream.... she is present, gazing up at me with concern. One December morning, I grabbed off our great room floor what I thought was "forbidden" human food. We had participated in some seasonal baking the afternoon before, so I figured it must be a fugitive mini chocolate chip. I was wrong!! Instead, I spied this green and brown colored beetle-type bug!! When I picked "him" up, "his" numerous minuscule legs touched my finger!! In utter shock, I shrieked, pitched "him" back toward our carpeted floor, then asked: "Where'd he go? Where'd he go? Where'd he go?" Rose, who was already positioned by my side, grew excitable, became attentive, then stared at me, a bewildered expression across her face. Ready for action!! Autism Service Dogs are, based on my observation alone, traditionally always purebreds. Trainers raise Labrador Retrievers and German Shepherds as I've perceived by reading newspaper articles. No mongrel or crossbreed would probably ever qualify. Not that I'm complaining.... I'd never in this world, never in this nation, never in this universe, present Rose to some boy or girl who has autism!! Not when she is mine, so aware of anything I do.

No comments: