Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorial Day

Arlington
Recorded by Trace Adkins
I never thought that this is where I'd settle down/I thought I'd die an old man back in my hometown/They gave me this plot of land, me and some other men/For a job well done/There's a big white house sits on a hill just up the road/The man inside he cried the day they brought me home/They folded up a flag and told my mom and dad/We're proud of your son//Chorus: And I'm proud to be on this peaceful piece of property/I'm on sacred ground and I'm in the best of company/I'm thankful for those thankful for the things I've done/I can rest in peace, I'm one of the chosen ones/I made it to Arlington//I remember Daddy brought me here when I was eight/We searched all day to find out where my granddad lay/And when we finally found that cross, he said/"Son this is what it cost to keep us free"/Now here I am a thousand stones away from him/He recognized me on the first day I came in/And it gave me a chill when he clicked his heels/And saluted me//Chorus: And I'm proud to be on this peaceful piece of property/I'm on sacred ground and I'm in the best of company/I'm thankful for those thankful for the things I've done/I can rest in peace, I'm one of the chosen ones/I made it to Arlington//And every time I hear twenty-one guns/I know they brought another hero home to us//Chorus: And I'm proud to be on this peaceful piece of property/I'm on sacred ground and I'm in the best of company/I'm thankful for those thankful for the things I've done/I can rest in peace, I'm one of the chosen ones/I made it to Arlington/We're thankful for those thankful for the things we've done/We can rest in peace, 'cause we are the chosen ones/We made it to Arlington/Yeah dust to dust, don't cry for us/We made it to Arlington

No comments: