Monday, May 2, 2011

Monthly Visits

Every month, on the first Wednesday, our church congregation holds a women's meeting. It is for wives/mothers, babies, and daughters aged thirteen or older. There is a scheduled speaker who has prepared her message. People generously bring tasty goodies. And we always host it at our home!! Because these meetings allows zero dogs, Rose hangs out with Uncle Mike until around 9:00 PM. Dinner on those nights is a simple meal of hotdogs and chips. My mongrel certainly seems interested whenever there's food involved!! Whether it be breakfast, lunch, dinner, a snack.... She's at your side with wishful thinking that someone will feed her!! Which of course we seldom ever do!! Except for before these meetings. I microwave my hotdog, which Rose immediately wants. I cut it into small, bite-sized pieces for dunking purposes. I pour some ketchup upon my plate. Find a fork. Dip the pieces into my pool of ketchup. Then.... I save one end--sans any condiments--for Rose. I allow it some cooling time, have her sit.... And finally I toss the bite to my girl!! No surprise.... She loves hotdog!! Now, on the rare occasions that I ever eat one, my canine hovers around me, revealing her interest, and "begs" for some hotdog!! When these meetings are nearly finished, at 9:00 PM, I steal Rose away from Uncle Mike. Link the red leash to her collar. And as these meetings close, we silently stand together in a corner, waiting. Until several young teenagers notice. Then Rose is lavished upon with love and attention, which she wholeheartedly enjoys!! Especially when the petting is given by Christine, an animal lover. Everyone tells me how soft my dog's fur is, that Rose seems sweet. Some talk canines, mentioning past pets. Others discuss their longings for another dog. One girl shares stories about Sugar, her still-living, comical Basset Hound/Beagle mix. But Christine.... She bounds toward Rose with much enthusiasm!! Instantaneously, Christine is hunched over, caressing my mongrel's floppy ears, stroking her velvet-soft fur. I think Rose actually anticipates Christine's monthly visits!! As well as the other teenagers' too....

1 comment:

Ruby said...

I am there every month and had no idea that happened! How funny! And what a treat for Rose being so good having so many people over and having to be in Mike's room for so long. She really does do a good job. All your attention and training pay off!!!